What does the membership think?

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.

Lock threads that might get heated

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 am

Yes, I don't want any controversy on this forum
6%
No, Some things need to be talked through
18%
Couldn't care less, I just stop reading a thread if I don't like the direction it is heading
67%
Who was supposed to bring the popcorn?
9%

Total votes: 33

jon_d

Re: What does the membership think?

Post by jon_d »

This forum was initially slated as; " leave your agenda/s on the door mat." It's gradually changing. I believe, even the welcome page has changed from the original statement.

If the forum wants to drift into political (etc) issues, then ok. I wonder why; I sort of can explain my wondering by a rhetorical question and an observation.

Q. Show me one forum anywhere on the internet where someone has changed someone else's perceived or real prejudice....
O. It's like a bloke in a pub on a Saturday night trying to hit on a cute lesbian and turn her. It's never going to happen so just leave alone.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Dot wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:38 pm Where there is an emotive issue and the true facts are not known, people are going to say things that can and will be misconstrued and others will take offence. Never assume you know what other people know on any subject be it politics, race etc.
"tanks" here---
When I was young and around about 12 ears of age (back in the 1950's; some 70 years ago) my grandfather told me:-

"No person at any time can aspire to infallibility, but all persons at any time may set down their own opinion.
These opinions may change, partly because circumstances change, and partly because we acquire new facts which cause us to modify our view"

Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
Which ever way things turn--- the main point is to get our "LION TAMER" back in the fold. I miss his posts !!
Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The first three are overlapping in many ways. I do not believed that comments should be directed towards an individual however at times some comments can cause us to think more deeply into a topic. I deliberately try to avoid politics as I believe we all should be able to form our opinions. Respect towards other forum members is very important . I remember from my early days general Instruction 1.7 of the Qld Police Manual. "Every member of the police force shall endeavour to cultivate and agreeable and courteous manner towards all members of the public and treat them in a courteous and civil manner. " It is 49 years since I first read this and it is relevant today . Unfortunately the police manual was thrown out many years back in an effort to deskill police. My parents taught us kids "The Golden Rule " which is another good way to approach life.

We should always consider the feelings and opinions of others.

I am not in favour of censorship however there needs to be standards.

I won't vote for a day or so however I am leaning towards No 3.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

My sentiments are that some things do need to be discussed and out in the open. I feel my opinion is welcome here and after reading more comments about any topic, I am quite happy to modify the way I think.
I do think we mostly use the old rule of "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" . On the rare occasion that things annoy me here, like Tanks says, just scroll on down and let it go.
Thanks for the opportunity to share my views.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:52 pm This forum was initially slated as; " leave your agenda/s on the door mat." It's gradually changing. I believe, even the welcome page has changed from the original statement.

If the forum wants to drift into political (etc) issues, then ok. I wonder why; I sort of can explain my wondering by a rhetorical question and an observation.

Q. Show me one forum anywhere on the internet where someone has changed someone else's perceived or real prejudice....
O. It's like a bloke in a pub on a Saturday night trying to hit on a cute lesbian and turn her. It's never going to happen so just leave alone.
Love it, an analogy and humour all rolled into one, brilliant :lol:

Why tackle the tough questions? It did seem this forum was becoming a vanilla blend chat room, sort a farcebook without the trolls, I thought maybe allowing a bit of "spice" to develop without squashing it via censorship or just squashing it by locking threads would allow an adult discussion to take place about some of the issues we really do need to face if we are going to become a nation with a semi untied voice rather than the mess we have now. The "squeaky wheel getting the oil" might quieten things down for a while, but it isn't a fix, the squeaks just get worse and the rest of those who have been quite will start squeaking as well ....
Sorry, my analogies aren't as good as yours Jon :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

I don’t post often and rarely on controversial posts. I selected option 3. I read posts but once they descend into invective and very personal opinions, I switch off. I know my own opinion (and Erich’s) and we are not interested in the opinions of others. We will not be swayed by the opinions of others, so it is a waste of time reading them. Interestingly, I avoid all of the Joker posts. I just don’t find them interesting. Am I sad? Probably so, but I don’t care.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Busman

Post by Busman »

I am trying to work out where I fit in here.

We have had one radical poster who burns all in power, some of them have done us quite proud, as having no brain.
This is simply not true and I think most readers were uncomfortable reading this sort of stuff.
Yet when I gently pushed back it seems I may well be one of the demons ?
I have no interest in reading this sort of junk from one poster, and it seems to have taken way to long for him to be pulled into line by admin.

As for the Australia Day debate, I simply posted about what had happened to us in the past, again because this did not suit the arguments of a particular side, was categorised as being on one side or the other.

Politics are either in or out, you can't pick the topics you want in because that suits your viewpoint.

Too much pussyfooting around trying not to step on anyones toes. Needs a rethink.

William
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Well William, yesterday I would have said the membership didn't want any controversy, the majority didn't care and a few found it entertaining ......
Today the numbers have swung the other way, but I've got to say, there isn't a strong count either way, the most responders couldn't care less one way or the other ..... not sure if I should combine those who find the controversial topics entertaining with the ones that want to hard questions debated ...... they would loose that entertainment value if those topics no longer appeared but were deleted as soon as they turned controversial .... then that would have to include any posts that claimed censorship ..... because that omn its own would be deemed controversial ...... maybe a case of being careful what you wish for ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

OK, I have no opposition really to 'hard' discussion but when it turns into straight out abuse to the extent of defamation I object your honor!! Play the ball & not the person I say?
I also object when others gang up & pick sides to create GOB's. We all remember them I think?
BruceS
Mannum, SA