What does the membership think?

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.

Lock threads that might get heated

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 am

Yes, I don't want any controversy on this forum
6%
No, Some things need to be talked through
18%
Couldn't care less, I just stop reading a thread if I don't like the direction it is heading
67%
Who was supposed to bring the popcorn?
9%

Total votes: 33

jon_d

Re: What does the membership think?

Post by jon_d »

if you look at the results,

18 will stop participating in a thread.
3 don't want it
4 do and
the others like to watch it unfold.

For the sake of 4 votes (who want to talk it though to the end) , you're risking a lot of animosity (if that is the right word??) across the group. Not just in the active thread but into the future as positions 'harden' over time.

The membership is not hundreds and I would suggest, just above critical mass to maintain an active forum/participation....

Remember, this forum was initially started due to experiencing something similar across a few forums, .... hence, be careful what you wish for.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Cuppa, this post has been moved to the admin only thread for all the admin team members to read and decide if they also consider it to be off topic

T1 Terry
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:50 am if you look at the results,

18 will stop participating in a thread.
3 don't want it
4 do and
the others like to watch it unfold.

For the sake of 4 votes (who want to talk it though to the end) , you're risking a lot of animosity (if that is the right word??) across the group. Not just in the active thread but into the future as positions 'harden' over time.

The membership is not hundreds and I would suggest, just above critical mass to maintain an active forum/participation....

Remember, this forum was initially started due to experiencing something similar across a few forums, .... hence, be careful what you wish for.
Guess it depends on how you want to read that stats Jon. I see it as 3 who don't want it, 4 who do, 3 who think it's entertaining and 18 who say they would switch off reading it when it is no longer entertaining, that's 25 to 3 ....... or 89% v 11%

Remember, anyone can change their vote right up until the poll closes on the 10th at 10am
Please, can it be a clear cut decision ...... as if that happens very often in Australia :roll: :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

The bit that has always bothered me is when admin allow their own beliefs to influence what is allowed and what isn't.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Dot

Post by Dot »

dapope wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:52 pm The bit that has always bothered me is when admin allow their own beliefs to influence what is allowed and what isn't.
Good play on words but this is what mods are supposed to do "discuss" Just for once can we stop this he said she said I'm offended blah blah
This is a good forum but some just can't see past their own views opinions
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dapope

Post by dapope »

Dot wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 pm
dapope wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:52 pm The bit that has always bothered me is when admin allow their own beliefs to influence what is allowed and what isn't.
Good play on words but this is what mods are supposed to do "discuss" Just for once can we stop this he said she said I'm offended blah blah
This is a good forum but some just can't see past their own views opinions
No play on words, and no mischief intended.
I believe the mods need to suspend their beliefs and opinions and the posts are looked at in terms of whether they go against forum rules or not. A decision is reached by consensus and the posts stand or fall accordingly. Straightforward. :D
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

I would hate to see a vanilla forum and the idea that mods would start to show more "formal interest" in posts is not what I would like to see. By formal interest, I mean with the idea of constantly blocking posts when it suits the mods. I don't think they would want to do this as mostly even when people get a bit heckled, they see the silly side.
I may be a bit idealist in my thoughts, but we are all apparently grown ups and hopefully would be able to self moderate our posts in most events. If there is a need for moderators to step in and tell someone to pull their head in (in a nice way) perhaps this would be best done in a private message instead of pulling posts, like we have all seen on other places. Also I have a lot of respect for our moderators here and if my post were so inflammatory, that it raised questions, I would like to know and understand what the issue is.
I do want to read other peoples opinions and ideas about most things, so let's keep the discussions open.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Dot

Post by Dot »

saying.jpg

Thought this was just right
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

I find the hypocrisy and double standards on this forum little different to the forums others left because of bias and discrimination, so it would allow some more open discussion, which was what I read here before joining and thinking that would be the case. But it's not, some are allowed to insult and attack others, whilst those attacked are not supported by the admin and those doing the attacking seem free to continue with snide underhand attacks and racist comments.

Moderators seem to be able to lock threads and remove posts they feel go against their beliefs, they don't take to task the attackers and even when those attacked, don't retaliate the attackers are allowed to continue with their underhanded abuse. I was even attacked for the way I write, bit like the Collingwood football club, we are inclusive, as long as you're no different to us and don't have different viewpoints.

I was attacked for expressing negative views about how the politicians are handling the virus quarantine and others saying they are doing us proud, which sounds like more of collingwood spin. Yet the facts are the opposite and I was howled down when suggesting they move quarantine out of populated areas, now the public debate has moved to that, with people starting to demand they move them out and it's the politicians, who the attackers here support, who are ignoring those sensible calls.

My Wiradjuri grandmother told me when I was young, that I would never be accepted by both sides of the family or my peers because I was different. But I should not act like them, as I was a better person and it took me many decades to accept and implement her sensible reasoning. So I don't attack people, but issues, but politicians are fair game as they are the ones who claim to know what to do and to take us into the future. One look at our current world sociological state and the future they are aiming for, should show any logical thinking person that they are useless and continue to lead us to disaster after disaster.

Sadly the majority of humanity can't separate themselves for their ideological programming and see reality for what it is, so human society will follow the delusion provided by ideologies and their elites, in the hope reality if wrong and ideology will win out. Problem is, through history ideology has never won, it's always the reality of nature that wins. If you can't handle difference in approaches and must attack it, without understanding what difference really makes to life, then you're stuck with self delusion and deception.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Maybe you could reread the existing rules NP? Specifically 6.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2
In relation to the 'blowup' that brought all this to a head ..... who attacked the issue being discussed and who attacked the person?
As far as accusing Admin being biased.
I am not an Admin other than assisting the Forum owners to navigate the behind the scenes stuff. (server problems, updating software, helping trace hacking attempts & blocking them etc.
This was the reason I never reprimanded Cuppa or others and never deleted any posts or locked the discussion.
For the Forum owners sake I decided to just back out, delete myself & move on with life. Unfortunately I never realized deleting myself also deleted ALL of my posts. This I am very sorry for.
Every post I made under Brucie2 has been deleted. Bugger!!
To accuse Admin or mods of being biased is a real slap in the face to both Terry, Noggins, Dot and Norman.
Almost demands an apology in itself?
On the Caravanners forum to question a mod's decision got me a lifetime ban. As others have also!
Be careful what you wish for. Moderating is not easy. Are you offering ?
BruceS
Mannum, SA