Cost of food essentials

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Keith Morris

Cost of food essentials

Post by Keith Morris »

COLES ON-LINE PRICES FOR FOOD:-
10 April 2021.

Tomatoes 65c ea, Bananas 81c ea, Red Delicious apples 88c ea, medium navel oranges 99c ec or a 5 pack = $1.30 each
.Potatoes loose 56c ea, parsnips $1.54 ea, Brown onions 54 c ea, red onions 70c ea, turnips $1.08 ea, chokoes $3.60 ea.

Don't make a salad or cook up a pot of soup without a trip to the bank.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Cost of food essentials

Post by T1 Terry »

Keith Morris wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:21 am COLES ON-LINE PRICES FOR FOOD:-
10 April 2021.

Tomatoes 65c ea, Bananas 81c ea, Red Delicious apples 88c ea, medium navel oranges 99c ec or a 5 pack = $1.30 each
.Potatoes loose 56c ea, parsnips $1.54 ea, Brown onions 54 c ea, red onions 70c ea, turnips $1.08 ea, chokoes $3.60 ea.

Don't make a salad or cook up a pot of soup without a trip to the bank.
Keith.
Ahhh,,, but what about the Weis Bars, Drumstick (under what ever brand name banner you prefer) and Ice cream in a 2ltr and 4 ltr tub (Bruce has this in the essential food category)
We are talking essential foods here, when did fruit or a salad make it to the essentials list? Maybe I should check on the price of a box of "Steak in a glass" home delivered before I push the whole retirement idea too hard .... although I did get a recipe for making it home brewed that would really cur down the costs ...... and probably my life expectancy .... but mentioning retiring on a serious level would probably reduce the life expectancy to single digits and that isn't long enough to brew a batch so ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1, umm, I think Tanks is talking about the old 2 and 5 fruit and veg everyday thingo. Pretty sure I have never seen him mention Stout or 'Steak in a glass'. My kidneys never let me enjoy an old or a Guiness like I used to, back in the old days. Bugger!
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Noticed bananas are back up to $8 kilo in some super markets down here average price around $7 kilo. Bought my last for a while and they were for the grand kids.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Glad I never buy from coles or woolies, like bunnings they are very expensive, banana's here are $3.49kg and they are lovely.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Interesting native pepper, where would the bananas be grown that you purchase in Tassie?
Shirley & Bruce.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

RobertNotBob wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 am Noticed bananas are back up to $8 kilo in some super markets down here average price around $7 kilo. Bought my last for a while and they were for the grand kids.
"tanks" here---
$8.00 per kilo would equate to around $almost $2.00 each banana.
I noticed that Coles/Woolies have tomatoes up to $1.25 each.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Shirley wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:02 am Interesting native pepper, where would the bananas be grown that you purchase in Tassie?
Queensland I'm told, we never buy imported foods as believe in supporting Aus growers even if some times they are a bit dearer. The lady at the post office told me bananas in woolies sorell are over $8 after noticing the big bag of them I had, eat a lot of bananas. Have 2 banana trees growing inside the house, they've produced a couple bunches which didn't last long. Have caught one of my dogs eating one he snatched of the tree, bending it and spreading soil and bananas everywhere, looked so innocent but the soil on the floor and mashed bananas gave him away. Now shut the door into the growing room so they can't graze :lol:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

They were $4.49 KG at Aldi in Bendigo yesterday.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Bananas have been more expensive locally the last week but I only paid $4.50kg, one would wonder how the grower could make a profit $3.49kg delivered in Tassie, tomatoes have been $7-$8lg.

Our dog use to eat grapes from the vine, crack open macadamia nuts that he found on the ground to eat & when the kids would be cracking the nuts in the vice he would sit at their feet waiting for his nut, :lol: :lol: we had to have him put to sleep when he was about 8yrs old, kidney failure, we have always wondered if the nut eating may have caused same.
Shirley & Bruce.