Told to get out of the house

Please discuss your hobbies and interests in this forum.
Ask for a sub-section if you want it!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Told to get out of the house

Post by T1 Terry »

Riverlander wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm Just a drive around the block. Feels like it always was. Very happy with it but the cost has run away a bit. :(
Cheers
:shock: Are there vehicle restorations that don't have cost run-aways? I was told early on when I was looking at restoring the Kombi, think of the worst possible scenario and resulting cost, then double it, so the shock of the final finished project isn't quite as bad as it might have been :twisted:

Too many start a project looking at doing it on the cheap ..... then discover the real costs and the project gets abandoned ..... I'm not even game to start the Kombi resto any time soon, money just vanishes faster than I get to even see it pass through the hands ..... and it's never my hands it passes through :cry:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

VicA wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:08 pm Excellent ..I love it ...
I see you have a a nice Jeep ( can you say nice and Jeep together) This is a project I finished a few years ago that probably would be of more interest to you than the Cortina.
100_1112.JPG
Cheers john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VicA

Post by VicA »

Very nice John ....its good to see restorations of somewhat rare vehicles ......I must say that you were very brave to take on a Gipsy ....
not the most popular vehicle in its day but a heroic attempt by the Poms to copy a jeep. What happened to it since your restoration?
Cheers
Vic
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

Parked in the shed behind a heap of other stuff since we shifted. Must get it out once the Cortina is up and running.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

John, I thought that the Gipsy looked like a LR, we had a soft top SWB LR in 1969, ex army, I'd never heard of a Gypsy.
Last edited by Shirley on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley & Bruce.
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

The Gipsy was made by Austin. This one is a 1958 model. There was only about 160 units sold in Australia as they had a few problems. They had a very good motor and gearbox but the steel body, vague steering, and low suspension let them down.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Thanks John, guess there wouldn't be many still around in Australia?
My sister's first car was an Austin A40 convertible.
Shirley & Bruce.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Shirley, my 1st and 2nd cars were Austin A30s I converted and fitted a Morris 1100 motor and 4 speed remote control gearbox to the 2nd one.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Riverlander wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 pm The Gipsy was made by Austin. This one is a 1958 model. There was only about 160 units sold in Australia as they had a few problems. They had a very good motor and gearbox but the steel body, vague steering, and low suspension let them down.
We had a neighbour in one our rented houses as a teenager that had an Austin Gypsy. Went the same speed in reverse as it did forward because the forward/reverse gearbox was after the 4 speed gearbox. I remember him replacing a diff, drove maybe 100 yards up the driveway and a hell of a bang crunch crunch .... full time 4 x 4 and the replaced diff was a different ratio it turned out .... the hemisphere in that diff centre turned out to be the weakest point and simply exploded .... seems the axles and tail shaft were a lot stronger than the sedan diff centre, but it did have a gearbox and front diff noise after that event.
The 4 cyl Rolls Royce motor went from just high enough not to scrap the ground to barely fitting under the bonnet with things clearly modified to get the bonnet line low enough to see the road a few yards ahead. Incredible climbing power, made the Jeep look like a pretender when it came to climbing up near vertical rock walls .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
VicA

Post by VicA »

You are thinking Austin Champ Terry ...
Cheers