legal eagles are after you!

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
BruceS
Site Admin

legal eagles are after you!

Post by BruceS »

https://theconversation.com/high-court- ... ges-167435
I think forums would also be on the watch list?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jon_d

Re: legal eagles are after you!

Post by jon_d »

Absolutely. And by anyone.

The key to litigation is being able to demonstrate that you were aggrieved amongst your peers. So, if a long termer forum member left after being "unfairly picked and their reputation was damaged" on, then look out.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:03 am Absolutely. And by anyone.

The key to litigation is being able to demonstrate that you were aggrieved amongst your peers. So, if a long termer forum member left after being "unfairly picked and their reputation was damaged" on, then look out.
So the Caravanner forum and the Grey Nomads forum might be a good source of revenue for me? Come to think of it, the old CMCA forum might be in trouble on that account as well, I saved all the attacking posts, including those from the anonymous admin team ..... they have the $$ to cover a good payout as well :D That is the usual restraint to actions being taken, the chances of even recovering the legal costs involved could be borderline so the chances of actually proceeding with a case and ending up costing the one doing the claiming big $$, stops any action being taken.
A certain book writer was going to take legal action against a member of the Caravanner forum for posting he was a pla....ist, but a search soon turn up the financial position that member was in meant the book writer would loose money on the whole deal ...... That particular forum member ended up going belly up and was rescued by another well known CF forum member .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

If you or anyone can prove reputational damage, then yes. The poster and the owner of the social media account are now both responsible.

Even alluding to someone (who the peers can identify) can pursue for reputational damages.

And, the damage doesn't have to be financial. It could simply be the person felt embarrassed to continue on a forum that they 'loved', and the cause of leaving was triggered by misinformation.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1, I don't know that you will do any good having a whack at some of those old forums. They are done and dusted and some of those blokes aren't even breathing anymore.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 pm T1, I don't know that you will do any good having a whack at some of those old forums. They are done and dusted and some of those blokes aren't even breathing anymore.
I doubt I'd take the CF because as far as I understand it, that forum is owned by Groovy Greg's family .... and they had nothing to do with it really. They would shut the forum down in the blink of an eye if they thought it could cost them rather than making them a $$, I doubt that would endear me to the membership there ;)
The Grey Nomads forum is owned by one person, not really into attacking an individual and sending them broke.
The CMCA however ........ that is a company, they treat it like a money generator rather than a co-op for the benefit of the membership and have a reputation of taking legal action at the slightest incident .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO