Painting problem

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Newcastle George

Painting problem

Post by Newcastle George »

I purchased some Wattyl Killrust Heavy Duty Metal Primer which has a methylated spirit solvent yesterday and the specs state: Touch dry in 2 hours, Recoat after 4 hours. I have just been doing some cutting in on prepainted/bare metal in the shade at 22* and it is touch dry in 5 minutes with the paint in the can developing a skin within 10 minutes. has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Painting problem

Post by T1 Terry »

Newcastle George wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:32 am I purchased some Wattyl Killrust Heavy Duty Metal Primer which has a methylated spirit solvent yesterday and the specs state: Touch dry in 2 hours, Recoat after 4 hours. I have just been doing some cutting in on prepainted/bare metal in the shade at 22* and it is touch dry in 5 minutes with the paint in the can developing a skin within 10 minutes. has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

George
Look to see what thinners is acceptable to mix with the paint, add some to the can and stir in well. The solvents are evaporating from the paint causing it to skin over, the more solvents, the longer it takes to evaporate off ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Be careful adding thinners when doing top coates.

Too much dissolve the undercoats and the topcoat wrinkles.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:52 am Be careful adding thinners when doing top coates.

Too much dissolve the undercoats and the topcoat wrinkles.
Ahhhh ..... so it's the thinning that's causing the wrinkles in the top coat, not me getting old ....... That's a relief, I have a good reason for discontinuing any thoughts of weight loss in the future .... just thinking about cutting down on my intake of food and steak in a glass was causing wrinkles it seems ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Newcastle George

I haven't added any solvent/thinner (metho) to the can. The specs say cleanup with metho, no other mention of thinners.

George
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Does the kill rust tin have a date on it? Maybe old stock.
Shirley & Bruce.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Thin up to 20%.
http://services.valsparprofessional.com ... Primer.pdf
Metho evaps pretty quickly so might need more metho each time you open/use it.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Newcastle George

No date Shirley. Fine weather for painting and now can't contact Wattyl until Tuesday. :x

George
Newcastle George

BruceS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:59 pm Thin up to 20%.
http://services.valsparprofessional.com ... Primer.pdf
Metho evaps pretty quickly so might need more metho each time you open/use it.
Thanks Bruce, had seen that but wouldn't adding more metho make it dry quicker"? It is quite thin already.

George
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

You would think so but maybe if metho is stirred in & incorporated in the mix it may stop the evap enough to make a difference.
I have had a similar experience with that paint & now use cold gal & then just the top coat after a slight rub down if needed as cold gal can often leave it pretty rough. One job I actually used the pressure pak cold gal & it does the job but pretty expensive.
I reckon adding the metho might 'preserve' the left overs in the tin for later use. Some recommend placing the leftovers upside down but I've mixed feelings about doing it.
BruceS
Mannum, SA