Painting problem

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Painting problem

Post by BruceS »

George I realize what you are painting is a lot different than the fences around the houseboat but ...........
I agonized over what I was going to do with them.
I had several choices.
Replace them with aluminium.
Rub them all down, paint with 'your' product & work my way up through the 3 Killrust products or ...
I'm deciding to use a product called Hammerite. Paint over rust.
OK, I'll still rub right down to almost 'bright' steel or solid paint but it's a one shot job.I've tested in several places & am impressed.
https://www.hammerite.com.au/applicatio ... ust-paint/
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

BruceS wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:45 pm George I realize what you are painting is a lot different than the fences around the houseboat but ...........
I agonized over what I was going to do with them.
I had several choices.
Replace them with aluminium.
Rub them all down, paint with 'your' product & work my way up through the 3 Killrust products or ...
I'm deciding to use a product called Hammerite. Paint over rust.
OK, I'll still rub right down to almost 'bright' steel or solid paint but it's a one shot job.I've tested in several places & am impressed.
https://www.hammerite.com.au/applicatio ... ust-paint/
Nice colours also. I like the blue best.
No rub down, no wire brush no nuffin, just paint it on and be amazed at the effect.
Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Bruce, a pity the website doesn't have decent closeup images of painted items.

A couple of photos of what I'm trying to repaint (the easy side, without the doors)

Click to enlarge
100_6815 (Custom).JPG
100_6816 (Custom).JPG
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Newcastle George on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I can't speak for all colours etc but there are a lot of 4WD bullbars done in this paint.
I think Vik here on the forum had it done on his rig?
It goes on pretty thick & any/all brush marks tend to smooth out seconds later. Sort of self leveling.
Daylight failing fast here now but I painted the houseboat 'bullbar' with it.
The actual paint looks very different depending on light/ sun & angle that you look at it. A bit like metalflake?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jon_d

Post by jon_d »

George,
The blue grey looks good. The yellow could do with a touch up.

I did the seat brackets with Hammertone in a can. Comes up brilliant.

I'm saving up to get one of these.
https://youtu.be/ACGSzBXKONo Makes preparation easy.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Wow, loved that laser rust blaster thingo. How much do I have to save up Jon? Glad to see that having a world record (as a Melbourne resident) has not dampened your sense of humour. But I reckon Hammertone won't suit George's bus.
Last edited by supersparky on Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

1/2 a mill, Dave, for a kilowatt job. 2 kw hair dryers are only $25 at kmart. Might try one of those first. Or you could fit the do hicky thing needing cleaning in the kiln. Might have the same effect. But..... will make the Mornay taste a bit funny.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

The bottom section was done in hammertone originally but it gradually disintergrated and I have sanded it all off. the front section that you can see is just galvanised steel.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm I can't speak for all colours etc but there are a lot of 4WD bullbars done in this paint.
I think Vik here on the forum had it done on his rig?
It goes on pretty thick & any/all brush marks tend to smooth out seconds later. Sort of self leveling.
Daylight failing fast here now but I painted the houseboat 'bullbar' with it.
The actual paint looks very different depending on light/ sun & angle that you look at it. A bit like metalflake?
The bullbar on Vic's motorhome was powder coated, not spray painted. They originally painted it the wrong colour so had to bead blast the whole lot off so they could start again. That type of powder coating is a total of 3 layers, each baked in an over, then sanded and the next layer applied. The last layer is a clear ceramic coating, once that's applied, no more powder coats can be applied, they just flake off ..... so a full strip back if a repair is needed. We did it as part of the spray painting course I did yrs back, amazing finish, easy to apply, a nightmare to fix if the base wasn't perfect before you started because every layer amplifies and defects .... no scratch filling possible etc Even over doing it with the bead blaster in one spot creating a slightly more eroded section than the rest of the surface stood out like it had been hit with a grinder and then just painted over with acrylic .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

This would be one of the easiest to apply, yet tough finishes about http://www.wattyl.net.au/nztechnical/do ... 0%20v3.pdf
use this stuff if you need to get a great base finish http://www.wattyl.net.au/nztechnical/do ... r%20v5.pdf
or this stuff if you just want it to stick like ... well you know what I'm talking about
http://www.wattyl.net.au/nztechnical/do ... r%20v3.pdf

Refinished a lot of Lincoln diesel welders with this stuff and the finish still look brilliant (well except for where the welder dumped their rod stubs while still glowing) yrs later. The original baked enamel coating went dull and powdery after 12 mths or less.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO