Another project done!

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Dot

Re: Another project done!

Post by Dot »

Rock -it - lettuce
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

George,
Your edging is obviously more substantial than it looks.
But you still had to bury half of it, and the concrete helps keep it stable.
As you can see, ours can be plonked on the surface and is rigid enough to hold any curve, supported only at 1.2m centres… and laying it is far less labour-intensive than the brick borders we put in before discovering the steel stuff.
Horses for courses. 👍

BTW, if you plant rocks, you don’t need to worry about watering in dry spells… or annual pruning. 😁

ps. I’ve explained why we have the large rock garden out front. In the back yard the rocks have been planted in places we can’t get grass to grow because of the eucalyptus trees. 😜
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

The garden bed which followed the “final” bed is finished.
Now we just wait for the plants to grow… and SWMBO’s next bright idea. :roll:
454F41E5-1A4E-4E0B-834D-C140C3514106.jpeg
(Still gotta clean up the garden bed, remove the bricks which held down the black plastic until the gravel went in yesterday and assorted bits & bobs. Including the peacock! A joke gift from a friend.)

BTW, when we moved in, the water tank was parked directly outside the window! :roll:
Made the room very dark — lights needed even on bright sunny days — and the view was fantastic: corrugated plastic! We drained it and had it dragged 5m to the west, which made room for the garden as well as improving the light & view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

It would make a great spot for a passion fruit vine. Trouble is, the rats love them and hide in the vine itself.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Jon,
This tank is on the southern side of the house.
I reckon the tank and the ODLA (to the right, bamboo is hard up against the shadecloth wall) would shelter a passionfruit vine, provided it’s OK with limited direct sun.
Would it thrive in these conditions?
If so, I’ll put it to SWMBO.

EDIT: Just asked her. Passionfruit needs full sun… not enough reaches this garden bed, so shade-tolerant plants only.
We have another tank around the corner on the western end of the house, with fairly good northern sun exposure.
The previous owners planted small trees around it, & our plumber says that’s a big no-no because of potential root damage to the base of the tank. So they gotta go sometime soon. Might replace them with a passionfruit trellis… 🤔
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Bannana passion fruit graphed onto established passion fruit roof stock. The vine will grow in full shade until it finds its preferred level of sun and from there, all the vine thrives. Very tolerant to frost and severe cold but will grow wild if you let it, so regular pruning is required. The fruit is much sweeter than a passion fruit and you get a lot more edible bits inside the fruit.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

We had banana passionfruit vine growing under the tree canopy in NZ, not much sun to be had there but they grew. How about a kiwi fruit vine or fruit vine eg, a boysenberry, raspberry etc, make lovely pies.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

With the tank garden being the garden after the final garden, we both spent yesterday afternoon planting 85 Iris corms down the 50m length of the driveway. :roll:
This is the garden bed after the job after the final garden bed… :?
They have been planted in two clumps between the Mongolian Pear trees which line the driveway. So we have tree, Iris, Iris, tree, Iris, Iris, tree etc.
They are early-flowering purple/dark blue Irises, which should add a pretty spectacular touch of colour this time next year.
Our garden helper phoned on Monday to ask if we wanted some free Irises, as he was working at another job in town and the lady asked him to dig ‘em all out and get rid of them. Not one to waste perfectly good plants, and knowing SWMBO’s tastes in blooms, he brought around an industrial-sized green waste bag ¾ full! :shock:
There must have been more than 200 plants when they were cleaned & trimmed!
A garbage bin full was donated to the local garden club, and a friend took 25, with the rest donated to our Op Shop to sell for 50c each — we reckon they’ll bring in about $50~$60 at that price.
And SWMBO has kept a further dozen for the garden bed after the driveway garden which followed the tank bed after the final garden bed. 8-)

BTW, here’s the finished (tidied, with three months growing time) tank garden area with driveway gravel and an example of my rustic carpentry…
Overall view — maximum sun penetration.
5995D717-7941-4D81-ADCD-4F0872D8EAA6.jpeg
Rustic box (with flash lid) for tank pump.
(In-feed pipe is under gravel.)
8DE49590-9368-45F2-967A-2E927FB46CEB.jpeg
Box made from recycled sleepers. A lid from the same would have been too heavy for SWMBO to open, besides, I thought it would be a little OTT. And I just happened to have some pine planks wide enough that two lengths covered it. Waterproofed with Marine Varnish. 😀
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields