Another project done!

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Greynomad

Another project done!

Post by Greynomad »

While up country BC (Before Covid), we came across a place selling all sorts of junk sorry, antiques.
We came home with a rusty old steel-framed school desk with rotting timbers barely holding on.
I removed the timber (it burned well in our fireplace!) and parked the frame in the back of the garage.
As part of my lockdown activity I hauled it out and worked out what to do with it: make a garden art plant stand.
Rummaging through my junk sorry, spare parts, I found a forgotten sheet of steel mesh I had filed for future use some time ago. It was straightened, cut to size and wired in place.
I then discovered that bracing was required if plants were to be placed on it. My welding skills being what they are, I decided to wait until the Men’s Shed could legally reopen to seek further tutoring.
That day came last week, so here’s the final product!
Steel used to brace the frame was prepainted blue, so I’ve sprayed them matte black.
As both the frame and mesh are rusty, I intend leaving them that way. I hope the bracing pieces will also eventually rust.
79BD184D-A47E-417B-933D-AE2DF1BEA406.jpeg
5D704557-C255-4991-A704-992DE96DDD04.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Re: Another project done!

Post by supersparky »

Well done Ray. The trouble with finishing any project is that as soon as it's done SWMBO will trot out another two things that will require your attention. At least, that's how things work at our place. :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

David,
You’ve been listening at our door again!
:P :P :lol:

JOB #1:
Finish the newly completed cast iron seat for a friend (timbers need staining).
565FD5B1-86F3-4573-B5AB-7C9F43EC238F.jpeg
JOB #2:
Re-timber the five seats & one table for our own garden. :shock:
99409360-0EF3-4448-AEB3-D3995F97D7DA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greynomad on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Pretty neat Ray.
Bernie.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Thanks Bernie,
Initially I was only going to put the mesh on the horizontal surfaces.
Then I thought, it might look better if the mesh formed a “ghost” seat & desktop.
SWMBO reckons I was right. 😁
I drew the line at trying to re-create “ghost” inkwells. :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I'm looking for the cast iron table and chair ends for another project for myself. So, if you have any spare or decide you don't need 'em......
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:37 pm While up country BC (Before Covid), we came across a place selling all sorts of junk sorry, antiques.
We came home with a rusty old steel-framed school desk with rotting timbers barely holding on.
I removed the timber (it burned well in our fireplace!) and parked the frame in the back of the garage.
As part of my lockdown activity I hauled it out and worked out what to do with it: make a garden art plant stand.
Rummaging through my junk sorry, spare parts, I found a forgotten sheet of steel mesh I had filed for future use some time ago. It was straightened, cut to size and wired in place.
I then discovered that bracing was required if plants were to be placed on it. My welding skills being what they are, I decided to wait until the Men’s Shed could legally reopen to seek further tutoring.
That day came last week, so here’s the final product!
Steel used to brace the frame was prepainted blue, so I’ve sprayed them matte black.
As both the frame and mesh are rusty, I intend leaving them that way. I hope the bracing pieces will also eventually rust.
79BD184D-A47E-417B-933D-AE2DF1BEA406.jpeg5D704557-C255-4991-A704-992DE96DDD04.jpeg
Looks great Ray. You can seal that rusted look in using a special wax they use for the "Rat Look" kombi restorations where they want to keep the look but stop the rust getting worse. Pity you couldn't have sandblasted the added metal bits to give the rust a chance to get going a lot faster ....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
My ‘sandblaster’ takes ⅓ sheets ranging from 80~400grit.
A bit laborious on square tubing, particularly with all the nooks and crannies around the corners & welds. :?
Matte black spray will do until it degrades enough to catch up with the original frame…
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

supersparky wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:37 pm I'm looking for the cast iron table and chair ends for another project for myself. So, if you have any spare or decide you don't need 'em......
Sorry, David,

All spoke for. :(

Three of the five are re-timbering existing seats from our garden (chose the wrong timber :roll: ), t'other two (& table) are for a planned arbour in a new garden bed.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I figured that Ray, but just in case........ :D
Cheers