Australia Day

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Greynomad

Re: Australia Day

Post by Greynomad »

Newcastle George wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:02 am Why not just stop wingeing and simply call ourselves Australians regardless of where we come from. My forebeares came from Wales but I don't claim to be Welsh.

George
We used to have a concept called “New Australians”… until the PC Brigade came along.
Now it’s all Multi-Ethnic everything because we can’t ignore the home cultures of our New Friends.
I’m of Irish heritage… at least we get one day a year, even if it’s supposed to honour a Catholic saint.
(Or does it honour brewers of green beer?) 😁
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

It was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion to see who would bite.
GOTCHA!
Yes, the usual reply.
Dot

Post by Dot »

It's ok for those that have a tongue to even put in your cheeks, = discrimination :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Dot

Post by Dot »

australia day.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

And why was the Nationality Act proclaimed on 26th and not 1st January?
Because it was the day the First Fleet moved from Botany Bay to Port Jackson and officially proclaimed the camp as the Town of Sydney by the Lt Governor of the embryonic colony, Captain Arthur Phillip. It was the bureaucratic beginning of the colony, although the Colony of New South Wales was not actually proclaimed until 7th February 1788.
(It took in the whole of the eastern section of the continent to about where the SA border lies today.)
Prior to that the camp at Botany Bay was unnamed, and therefore not officially recorded as the colony. It was just the landing place.
By contrast, the Yanks make a big deal of the date the Mayflower landed.
In 2020 they had major celebrations on 21st November, for the 400th anniversary, despite Covid-19.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields