Truth in advertising .....

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Truth in advertising .....

Post by T1 Terry »

A lot of TV ads really get me fired up, but the one by Dr Micheal Mosley about his fast 800 diet really gets to me big time. He shows a car running on two fuels, first sugar and the car putts along then fat and it takes off with lots of exhaust puffs ...... now a fat based diet could cause you to fart a lot and the exhaust cloud bursts could be showing a few facts, but the concept sugar produces little energy and fat produces a lot of energy is completely back to front. Sugar is the high octane equivalent food type, burst of energy followed by a "run out of fuel" feeling until the next sugar hit, where fat is the diesel equivalent, doesn't create outstanding speed bursts but works well for a continuous plod along all through the day.
The "Dr"Michael Mosley gets me as well, he did finish medical school but left medical practice to become a journalist .... sort of says a lot about which he thought he could make money at .... and poor and doctor are not too terms commonly put together to explain someones financial position ..... he is not actually registered as a medical Doctor any more so ..... isn't that also misleading?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Re: Truth in advertising .....

Post by Dot »

He is a very clever man which ever way you look at him & past professions, that diet works, my oncologist is on it and he told me his cardiologist is pleased with his result. My friend in NZ is no longer a practicing anesthetist but I would take his advice over any other , he is always going to and giving lectures so just because you stop working as a Dr doesn't mean you stop learning. Maybe the car in the ad should of been a person as an example. The ad says sugar as a fuel gives you a mad kid zoomer and when you change over to the fat your body gets sluggish, would that of been better Terry? :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Dot petrol and ethanol which is the fuel that comes from sugar use octane rating for power they produce, the higher the number the greater the power output simply put and ethanol has a higher octane rating than petrol.

Diesels and bio fuels, (biodiesel and seed oils) use cetane ratings and diesel has a higher cetane rating then seed oil. Solid fats heated and filtered have higher cetacean ratings than liquid seed oils and some seed oils have higher cetane ratings than others. But the small lose of power when using seed oils, can be overcome by adding things like inter-coolers, souped up turbos and straight through exhausts. Turbo driven diesels have a low decibel rating compared to naturally aspired diesels and petrol vehicles. Did that to my 80's cruiser when rebuilt the engine and it flies up hills, better than most petrol cars. My neighbour drives a 60's Sahara with standard turbo, exhaust and no inter-cooler and even though the engine is less than 25000klns old, it still performs like a diesel, powerful but slow under load,

The advert referred to, claims sugar fuels make a car go slower and fat fuels make them go faster, both as false and very misleading. I think if you looked at just about all advertising, you would find ti very misleading and false, When they claim up to 50% discount, you can be sure when you go there or contact them, those supposed bargains are probably gone and then they try to con you into paying the regular price of something similar.

There are no controls on advertising now, years ago there used to be controls but now if you give the political parties money, you can mislead and deceive the people as much as you want. Gambling as a prime example, it floods sport events and sports shows and even have a TV channel dedicated to horse racing.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I was under yhe impression of the ad was about the human body and was using a car & fuels as an example, hmmm now I wait for the ad to come on again, shows how much attention I pay to ads doesn't it? :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

An ad is an ad. I've never ever believed one ad I've ever seen in my life.
Did you really believe Madge's hands got 'better' in Palmolive dish washing detergent?
Did you really think Louie The Fly was "bad & mean"?
All ads are nothing more than a tax deduction for the company & to make the agent & the advertiser some money.
All political advertising is along the same lines. Anyone who believes one bit of it is a complete fool & the ABC & others pretend their comments really count.
Life is what it is. Once something happens & you see it with your eyes then maybe believe it.
Heard last night that Koalas are in danger of becoming extinct!! haha!
Only a few years ago SA spent millions catching them, sterilizing them & re-locating them into other areas. Koalas are territorial & most sensible people knew they would fight to the death to defend their territory. Now they're an endangered species??
Greenies, lefties & media...................
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

I believed an ad for the new warm waxing treatment for the bikini line. :oops: That is a story for around the camp fire :oops: :lol: :lol: :oops:
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Nothing wrong with a good old hairy bikini line is there? haha
Who can honestly say they never enjoyed that ad that went .... "sick 'em Rex" ??
What a terrible job to do? Suck all them ants up! Who'd want to be an ant eater? (echidna Bernie!)Bugger the ants! Go Rex!!
Still can't remember what it was advertising? You remember Jon?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

Antz pants Bruce :lol:
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I'm not against reduced sugar diets, I'm against the way he is twisting the truth about which gives your more immediate energy. Anyone who didn't sleep through yr 7 science knows the various types of carbohydrates give energy at different rates without needing the liver to convert them into usable fuel for the bodies muscles, it is readily absorbed into the blood stream and used .... what isn't used is converted by the liver into fat that the body can store for later use if required. For the immediate energy rush, the simpler the sugar, the quicker it is absorbed into the blood stream to be used, a quick acting fuel, that is not what this ad shows .... why type to B/S your potential customers?
We can't simply store the fat we eat, it is a very long and intense process the body undertakes to convert any food including all types of fat into the bodies stored fat reserves. The Keto diet works great at reducing weight, but be prepared to feel like your energy drained for a few weeks while the body adapts .... and be prepared to go without carbs like you did enjoy them before, or you will quickly put the weight back on and probably a bit more than when you started the diet ... the body remembers the shock it went through and stores extra just in case it happens again ...

So, cutting fat out of your diet can be very hazardous to your health, this is worth a read but it is a long read https://www.self.com/story/what-fat-does-in-your-body , cutting carbs completely will change your diet for life if you want to keep the weight off ...

Everyone reckons alcohol causes fat build up .... if this was true, wouldn't we have fat winos?
Anyone have any links to a wine based weight loss program .... or even better a steak in a glass based weight loss program .... I'm up for giving that one a go ;) 8-) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO