Motorhome vehicles

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Dot

Motorhome vehicles

Post by Dot »

So many different brands of vehicles used for motorhomes, Iveco, VW ,Merc ,Ford etc. Which one do people think is the best for parts, warranty, dependability etc. (the vehicle only NOT the house on the back part)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Motorhome vehicles

Post by BruceS »

Dot I think if there was a simple answer then that particular brand would probably be just about the only one on the road.
Maybe we lot can pick firstly the GOOD things about certain brands? After that we can discuss BAD things.
Considering we're probably talking about Motorhome use we're probably talking some country/outback running?
So first discussion will be about DEALER DISTRIBUTION. Well even if not dealer, maybe mechanics that can & will attempt to repair them.
My guess in order would be...
1. Ford
2. Iveco
3. ............ the rest? Fiat, VW, Renault, ??

I'm willing to change this order if any objections.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Busman

Post by Busman »

Anything not computer controlled !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Probably Fiat except for the front wheel drive issues on wet grass, VW but parts are expensive if you ever need them, Mercedes but again the parts expense, Ford, Hino/Toyota, Nissan, Mazda are all reliable and the parts are better priced and a better chance of finding someone who could fix it. Id steer clear of an Iveco until they sort their gearbox and electronics issues, ask Peter (Pet-els) what he thinks of his Iveco ....
You looking for a new project for George? After all the hard work he had to do to get the bus up to Dottie standards, you are going to pass it on to someone else and put poor George through all that torture again .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

I was looking at the motorhome sales and I know that for example Jacko have a bad name for their workanship so if you had say a ford chassis and a Jacko unit on it, then you get down to which complete unit is the best to go for? ...No not thinking that yet Terry but doubt it won;t be too far away. I agree Iveco have given a lot of crap to more than one of our members here.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Never a Ford, Dot, never a Ford.

dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Dot, my pennies worth. A junko is made for a good price. The quality in places is questionable BUT usually only small annoying things that Gman could fix in his sleep. The finish is just not there and quality control is non existent.

The other reason for junkoes is the number of dealerships who will drop everything and help you when on the road. There are a couple of junky workshops that are not so useful, but when we have needed help is a few parts of Aus, it has been forthcoming as soon as we have asked.

At six years old, ours is starting to show wear in the plastic parts. They are all dometic and are what's in every rv, regardless of brand. Our van has had a bit more use than most junkoes, but it still is working in all the important parts.

Enjoy the research xxxx
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I reckon that the Toyota Coaster is the ideal base vehicle for a motorhome. Only 7m long, fits in a normal parking bay, extremely reliable and can be derated to drive on a car licence although I cannot see the benefit of that. Just about every indigenous community has at least one in service. You just can't kill them and parts are ready available.
Well that's my two bob's worth.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Agree with David, we're not bias, only thing is built for slim folk, a tad narrow with fitouts installed.

I reckon Isuzu MHs are good too.
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:58 am Agree with David, we're not bias, only thing is built for slim folk, a tad narrow with fitouts installed.

I reckon Isuzu MHs are good too.
Yeah, missed that one. A Hino RB160 is the wide bodied style that gives a bit more room. If you did go down the Jayco path, get it weighed with the tanks full and both of you in it, that will be the defining test, they are well known for their over weight issues ..... Winnabangle/Avida have the same problem ....
Are you looking at changing vehicles because of the lack of performance in the one you have now, or just want to down size?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO