Ukraine’s problem

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
native pepper

Re: Ukraine’s problem

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:32 pm Any sort of power struggle that involves the war machine being rolled out, has got to be bad as far as climate change goes ..... the blasts and fuel used is only part of it, the rebuilding also puts strain on an already fragile climate ...... but world leaders and war footings being linked directly to climate change .... a big stretch of the bow that one.
T1 Terry
I'd say I worded it wrong, wasn't linking leaders and war footing to global warming. Was pointing out how the apathy and denial are the same when it comes to war and climate change, ideological humanity displays the same short term approach to them both, it will go away and not effect us. With Ukraine, the majority of leaders say it's not effecting us so why should we do anything other than lip service and it will go away very soon. But the reality is its is effecting everyone for the future and not stopping Putin now is no different to denying climate change and doing nothing.

With climate change it's the same, they deny what we are seeing and many are experiencing is climate change and it will go away. Those effected, will still rebuild on the same places even though the science says they are in the front line and it will happen again and again, getting worse each time. But they will forget it in a few months and people will still buy homes on the coast, believing it won't effect them, but someone else and it's happening along the entire east coast of Aus. Many places being inundated with what the authorities class say, is a once in a hundred years or so weather event and never mention climate change. They are implying it will go away and not effect the future and people will believe them because it suits them to not accept the reality and it's the same with the invasion of Ukraine, they refuse to accept the undeniable future reality and the outcomes it will create.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

NP,
I agree with most of what you said.

Notwithstanding, the sub-editor in me cannot be silenced. :P
You consistently used "effect" when you meant "affect"
The former is the noun, the latter the verb.
Please take this in the manner it is intended, enlightening, not criticism. :)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

So now Ray you have to explain the noun and verb, I never could work that shite out. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,

Here's an extract from Fowler's Modern English Usage.
Click on it to read it.
Look to the bottom few lines in the left column, continued into right column.
Affect vs Effect.png
Clarification: Effect can be either a noun or a verb.
'The effect was immediate.' sees it used as a noun.
Fowler's extract focuses only on its use as a verb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:52 pm NP,
I agree with most of what you said.

Notwithstanding, the sub-editor in me cannot be silenced. :P
You consistently used "effect" when you meant "affect"
The former is the noun, the latter the verb.
Please take this in the manner it is intended, enlightening, not criticism. :)
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/effected
Effected, 1. Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.

Affected,
1a : having or showing an attitude or mode of behavior that is not natural or genuinely felt : given to or marked by affectation spoke in an affected manner
b : assumed artificially or falsely : pretended an affected interest in art
2 : inclined, disposed was well affected toward her
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Will Smith.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

I know the "woke world" will disagree with me on this one.
I believe Will Smith did the right thing in smacking down a smart arse who publically insulted his wife !
And when I say publically I mean worldwide, that show was being broadcast to the interested world.

Publically insult my Mrs and I'll do the same !

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Noggins wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:09 am I know the "woke world" will disagree with me on this one.
I believe Will Smith did the right thing in smacking down a smart arse who publically insulted his wife !
And when I say publically I mean worldwide, that show was being broadcast to the interested world.

Publically insult my Mrs and I'll do the same !

Ron
He slapped him, he didn't king hit him or blood his nose, a warning you have over stepped the line rather than serious aggression mounting to an act of assault .... he think Will Smith showed a lot of restraint and he should be congratulated for making a stand ..... the future verbal warning will be enough to put the same message across in future .... "you don't want me to come up there and explain that sort humour will not be tolerated, I might not have the same level of restraint Will Smith showed" a slap down without having to raise a hand ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I think he was lucky to only get a slap. Still wondering why nobody has told the bloke to apologise for taking the piss out of someone's medical condition.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

supersparky wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:41 pm I think he was lucky to only get a slap. Still wondering why nobody has told the bloke to apologise for taking the piss out of someone's medical condition.
Slightly off-topic, but I agree! An apology from the HOST was what was required, not from the actor.
I think Will Smith showed admirable restraint in not decking the smart-ar$e host for taking the pi$$ over Smith's wife's medical problems.
By the look of her non-hairstyle, it's possibly cancer.
They both have my prayers. Been there, done that. Got the T-shirt.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields