The price of fuel.

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
native pepper

Re: The price of fuel.

Post by native pepper »

pet-els wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:04 pm I know we are expecting the petrolium fuel to drop off as EV takes over, then why is Mobile building so many new servos in local comptition with the others ?

PeterH
If you look where many government ministers and other politicians end up after leaving politics and the decisions and directions of all political parties, you soon see the pattern and why the major parties refuse to step into the future and create industry that will not only drive massive economic growth, but also develop highly valued export industries and all sustainable. The fossil fuel industry is fighting for it's future when it doesn't have one, so are desperate to drain every bit of gas, oil and other natural resources from the ground, irrelevant to what it holds for the future.

My bus gets 3.5klm per lt towing a big dual wheel ex furniture moving trailer, running on veggie oil. With the amount of braking you do and it has an exhaust brake, regen braking would certainly put quite a bit of energy into the batteries and trucks can carry much heavier battery loads compared to cars.

There are some community advantages with EV's, charge points will bring people into towns instead of being bypassed. There will also be the need for technicians capable of diagnosing and fixing any break downs and chargers. The EV conversion industry is place to get into for anyone who wants to make a dollar or two, or EV parts and commodities. I reckon Ev conversion and no frills affordable cars would be the best market, not many people can afford $40000-$100000 EV's.

With the rate of fuel prices and supplies problems growing, converting your vehicle may be getting much closer. I wonder how many banks will lend funds for having your car converted to EV, was told between $25000 and $60000 to convert my cruiser by a bloke that converted an EJ Holden wagon.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Better to import an EV from Japan or the like via J spec or one of the Iron Chef import agencies (all the same people but a different name depending on which country the vehicle is being imported from). The $$ to convert is only really practical in the average car for someone wanting to do it as a project. Converting a motorhome is a whole different deal though and the cost would be absorbed by the increased sales value ....... who wouldn't want to buy a motor homes that refuelled itself while you free camped ........

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Bow

Post by Bow »

My fuel tank holds 285L, not looking forward to filling it up.
Most of NT and WA outback towns run on diesel generators, electric cars will never work until they solve the problem of power generation in the outback.
High fuel prices will be a big incentive to solve the power generation problem.
Greg
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Had two visitors yesterday, one driving a diesel Golf, t’other a Hyundai electric.
Golf owner complained bitterly about the cost of driving the 120km round trip.
Hyundai owner was smiling. She recharges her car from 100% solar power. Gets around 250km on a charge.
Way of the future…
Although we might wait until 400~450km range is a bit cheaper than current cars in that range.
… if we live that long!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Bow wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:08 am My fuel tank holds 285L, not looking forward to filling it up.
Most of NT and WA outback towns run on diesel generators, electric cars will never work until they solve the problem of power generation in the outback.
High fuel prices will be a big incentive to solve the power generation problem.
Greg
They are installing used fish and chip oil gensets for EV recharging across the gaps between Norseman and Port Augusta .... as an interim measure while they get the solar/battery/charging facility, all in a shipping container, built and betta tested at the various tech colleges and unis, then out and installed around the country. No more diesel generators required at all ..... then things will really change for the better, no more B/S about range anxiety for those outside the cities ..... refuel for free from the home solar system as well as the EV battery acting as the energy storage for the house overnight if required ..... can't do that with the Land Cruiser eh ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:32 am Had two visitors yesterday, one driving a diesel Golf, t’other a Hyundai electric.
Hyundai owner was smiling. She recharges her car from 100% solar power. Gets around 250km on a charge.
Way of the future…
Although we might wait until 400~450km range is a bit cheaper than current cars in that range.
… if we live that long!
The new ioniq 5 ( pronounced ionic) https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/2022-h ... wd-review/ has a range of over 450km per charge, actually something like 485km, but 450km is good enough as far as I'm concerned .....
By the time you add up the fuel for the km likely travelled over he 8yr warranty period and service cost of a ICE powered vehicle and deduct that from the Ionic 5 buy price and recharging (particularly if done at home with the rooftop solar) and service costs, it comes out at quite good value for money .... just you have to pay up front rather than over the life of the car. You'd most likely get over 10 yrs out of the car before a battery replacement was required (and who knows what will be available as a drop in replacement by then) and it would still have better resale value than the same size ICE powered vehicle in 10 yrs time .....

T1 Terry
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:45 pm ..... refuel for free from the home solar system as well as the EV battery acting as the energy storage for the house overnight if required ..... can't do that with the Land Cruiser eh ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
I refuel at home for free and on the road refuel for free when traveling in the bus and when using the cruiser for long trips, carry a filter bag with me so if I need fuel just ask the local takeaway or pub and they almost throw it at you to get rid of it. People laughed at me back in the late 1970's when was using cooking oil to run my tractor and then bus, they laughed when I bought a centrifuge saying it was too expensive, wouldn't save much money and would destroy my engines.

They laughed when ran my house off grid using a car generator as a wind generator with cut in half 29lt metal drums spinning above it and some old car batteries which I cleaned out back in 1976. Said I was crazy when bought my first batch of lifpeo4 back in 2006. No one laughs now with fuel prices over $2 and my first batch of lifepo4 will be 16 years old this year and still holds 100%. What amazes me is having cells that old which have never been charged yet they still retain 3.2v. Same with my video camera, which has a li-ion battery from 1999 and it still powers my camera, the trick is to take it out when not in use and it retains it;s energy for however length of time you want, so far.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:03 pm You'd most likely get over 10 yrs out of the car before a battery replacement was required (and who knows what will be available as a drop in replacement by then) and it would still have better resale value than the same size ICE powered vehicle in 10 yrs time .....
T1 Terry
I reckon if people using their EV's kept the SOC at 80% and DOD at 25%, the batteries may last them 20 years. My friend is doing that with her Kona and tells me a friend of hers who drives a Leaf is now doing the same thing. So it will be interesting to see how they go, the leaf was bought second hand from Japan and the Kona new. Most of their travels are short.

Have thought seriously of converting my bus to Ev and covering the entire roof and trailer roof with solar panels, as well as carrying some to recharge it when on the road camping. Problem is the cost of the amount of cells you'd need to make it worthwhile and get some decent distance between recharges would be a deal breaker, but a couple of days parked would probably provide enough charge to cover a few hundred klms. Just have to buy a lotto ticket, then it's a breeze to do.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Something to think about...... Got this from my M8 from NZ today;;;;;;;;;
===================================================================

We have had a 25% cut in fuel tax starting midnight tonight..Also we oldies get a $52 a fortnight on our pension couples get $88 I think they said so that will bring mine up to $866 a fortnight.Not to be sneezed at I guess.Will be interesting to see what the actual price of fuel will be ,more on that when I know...Gull in Albany dropped before all the others this am & is $2.64 a litre.It may cause a fuel war as we are,but we need all gst off food as a step towards some form of normality,....,green cabbage think I told you last ,week .$9.00!!!!

Avocado ...one....$12.Who the ---- would be so dumb to encourage buyers by buying them?? Boycott is needed.No wonder poorer families are eating shit food,& takeaways ,they save on dishwashing liquid,buying ingredients,& power to cook & can be picked up & eaten on the way home from picking up kids from school!!! Full of fat & encourages diabetes...We're one of the worlds highest increasing levels for diabetes alongside Aust
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:03 pm
Greynomad wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:32 am Had two visitors yesterday, one driving a diesel Golf, t’other a Hyundai electric.
Way of the future…
… if we live that long!
The new ioniq 5 ( pronounced ionic) https://www.drive.com.au/reviews/2022-h ... wd-review/ has a range of over 450km per charge, actually something like 485km, but 450km is good enough as far as I'm concerned .....
By the time you add up the fuel for the km likely travelled over he 8yr warranty period and service cost of a ICE powered vehicle and deduct that from the Ionic 5 buy price and recharging (particularly if done at home with the rooftop solar) and service costs, it comes out at quite good value for money .... just you have to pay up front rather than over the life of the car. You'd most likely get over 10 yrs out of the car before a battery replacement was required (and who knows what will be available as a drop in replacement by then) and it would still have better resale value than the same size ICE powered vehicle in 10 yrs time .....

T1 Terry
T1,
The lady was driving the first model Ioniq. The 250km was what she told us was her real-world experience.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields