Da Gummint must be broke!

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Da Gummint must be broke!

Post by Greynomad »

I reckon the Federal Gummint MUST be broke!
The Minister for Emergency Services set up a GoFundMe page to help flood victims in Qld! 🤔😳
I was under the impression that there was a special $4 BILLION fund specifically set aside to fund recovery from such disasters. We’re told that fund has accumulated $800,000 in interest so far. Where did that $400,800,000 go? Government pre-election advertising??
🤔🤔
😳😳
🙄🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Da Gummint must be broke!

Post by BruceS »

I fail to see why any Gov should pay anything, Should be local Gov if anyone. They allowed the building to happen there.
Same as those in bush fire prone areas. Why should anyone who does "due diligence" have to pay for other's bad decisions?
Hand over money so they can rebuild & equip their homes to flood again in 4 or 5 years?
They aren't called flood plains for nothing!
Yes, of course I really do feel for them. What a terrible thing to go through?

I saw the same thing in the big drought of '67. Screams for help from those who never bothered storing hay or grain 'just in case'.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Didn't you watch "Mad as Hell"last week, all was explained by Brion Pregmatite, the money from a go fund me campaign will get to people a lot faster than the govt money set aside for the purpose because no govt officials or depts will be involved ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

The other crazy thing is that people think the gov't pays for it..... we do.

So when Morrison says we'll just throw money at it, that your money.
Why didn't he plan better... why didn't he execute better????? Never learns. :evil:
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

I love the way our duly elected PM gets all the dirt slung at him for not being there during the bush fires, flooding, and every other State Emergency.
The simple fact of the matter is that the PM can't send/do Federal Help unless the State Premier asks for it.

So for all of them blaming the PM for not "doing better and calling in the Army etc " start throwing all your darts at your State's Premiers, 'cos if the Premiers don't ask, the Constitution doesn't allow the Federal to interfere.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Now that most of the flooding has subsided and the cleanup is well under way, the blame game has started. I saw one poor bugger from the Lismore area blaming anyone and everyone for taking so long to rescue him. It was irrelevant that there were no mobile communications because the power went out and the base of the tower was flooded. I really do feel for those that are flood or bushfire affected, but think about where you are going to be when the next event comes along. And it will come.
Personally I blame the local government and greedy developers for allowing people to build there in the first place.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

We do have to consider that all major, and minor towns were located close to rivers or streams so that they had access to water.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

supersparky wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:27 am Personally I blame the local government and greedy developers for allowing people to build there in the first place.
Money rules our societies, not logic or rational approaches. The people and governments have known for over 30 years this was going to come round, yet they still build along the coast and low lying areas and people still buy the homes. This is just the beginning of global climate change, it's yet to really ramp up and what the future holds is beyond our understanding or ability to determine.

So it's everyone's fault they are in the position they face, no one ever changes their approach to the future unless forced to, so we have to put up with the consequences of our own actions and decisions. of course there are many who are the victims of circumstances beyond their control, so can't be blamed, but the world situation is everyone's responsibility and sadly, almost all refuse to change to help lower the rapidly evolving destruction caused by how we all live our lives.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:00 pm The other crazy thing is that people think the gov't pays for it..... we do.

So when Morrison says we'll just throw money at it, that your money.
Why didn't he plan better... why didn't he execute better????? Never learns. :evil:
Uumm, actually it isn't our money, they have already spent that and more, that is why we are so far in debt ..... what they are throwing around now is money from our kids and grand kids taxes :twisted:
A board director or the head man wouldn't expect a raise or to keep their job if they had spent more than the company they were managing had earned and had no real prospect of turning the problem around ..... why do the mob in charge of the Australian company expect to keep their jobs or continue to collect a pay check for yrs to come?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

and if they don't spend it everybody whinges.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor