"A" frame on Yarris.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: "A" frame on Yarris.

Post by BruceS »

Bernie you're not explaining it very well for anyone to try to help.
I think Jon was meaning is the rivnut in the bracket that is fixed to the car that then the A frame pivots off.
Or (most likely) is the rivnut in a part of the car (chassis?) that the bolts screws into AFTER it goes through the bracket as above.
Why can't you get to the 'backside' of the rivnut? Is it inside a box frame part of the chassis?
Have you got all fixtures out of one side?
How did you hurt your arm? Angle grinder kick back?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

No angel grinder...I will put another picture up tomorrow...all will be explained... oops I think a red head has that phrase 😁
Bernie.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

rewritten to remove ambiguity

Hold the head of the nut/bolt in a ring spanner and drill it out.
Use a bigger drill and cut through the side on the rivnut while you're there.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I'm guessing it is a captured nut welded in the 4 corners when the chassis rail was in two parts before it was welded together, no way to get to it without using a hole saw from the other side of the chassis rail.

If you have manged to get the head off the bolt, find or machine a piece of tube to fit over the bolt stub with a small drill hole through the centre so you can get a centre hole drilled through the bolt. Bigger drill bits in small steps till the bolt is drilled out enough to get the bracket off.
Do you need to bolt something back on using that bolt hole? If you do, it might be easier to cut that part out using a hole saw, weld a new nut on the backside and weld the piece back in. What ever bolts on will cover the repair so no one will know ;) 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

No Terry they are rivnuts I have the other side off.
I need this one out so I can put this car back together, all the towing attachments are going on the New car.
Not working on the car today...having a sickie :D Plus we had guests.
Bernie.
These are the rivnuts on the side I have off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Cut the head off the offending bolt, if you can't ply the bracket over the remained of the bolt then do the drill thing until you have enough of the bolt gone so you can get the bracket off. If you need to bolt something back on there, grind the flange off the rivnut and punch it through, then fit a new rivnut in the empty hole. It will send the next mechanic crazy trying to find the rattle in the front :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Bernie, watched a friend take out rivnuts, he made a jig that sits on the outside of the metal and surrounded the nut, then screwed a bolt half way into the nut, attached the jig to the bolt and pulled out the nut. It was a bit like a wheel puller but clamped around the bolt head and the base of the jig held the thin metal firm so it didn't buckle. You can buy rivnut removers but this bloke made it himself and it only took a few minutes to make in his workshop.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Crickey....

Put a ring spanner on the bolt head to stop it turning.
Then get a drill and drill out the bolt.

There is even an aligning mark on the bolt head to maintain the center.

What's so hard?
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

My back at the moment Jon 😠
It will get done.
I don't have to save it just get the plate off so I can put this one back together (the car)
Thanks for the input NP.
Bernie.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

yeah, even so, drill it out. Fastest and easiest way to remove the head.