The footy is back on.

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
supersparky

The footy is back on.

Post by supersparky »

The worm has turned, and it is footy season again. :D
It doesn't matter what code you subscribe to, if you can go to the ground and support your team, then all must be well in the world. Except if you are Ukranian. Or watch it the TV, if you don't live in the right capital city. Bring it on. :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: The footy is back on.

Post by T1 Terry »

Real men's "Footy" started last week, the women started a while back. You certainly wouldn't back chat some of those women's NRL players .... actually, any of them if you wanted to remain pain free. Some of those tackles in the women's games were bone shakers, the men's first matches last week, you have to wonder how they manage to walk off at half time or actually come back out for the second half and play just as hard .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1, I knew I would get a bite from you. Regardless of whatever code you support, it's good that it's back.
I've never been a big fan of cricket, especially that big bash shite.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:55 pm Real men's "Footy" started last week, the women started a while back.
T1 Terry
Real men's footy is when you kick, mark and handball the footy, not throw it around and bash each other up, then go out get drunk, scoff loads of drugs and assault people. That's a deranged thugs game, only fit for the intellectually inadequate. :o You can't call it footy, because kicking is rare, but punching and thuggery are normal. :lol:

The ladies AFL has been on for weeks and is now well worth watching as the skill levels go up each season dramatically and they tackle as hard as the men. :D
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

native pepper wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:50 pm
T1 Terry wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:55 pm Real men's "Footy" started last week, the women started a while back.
T1 Terry
Real men's footy is when you kick, mark and handball the footy, not throw it around and bash each other up, then go out get drunk, scoff loads of drugs and assault people. That's a deranged thugs game, only fit for the intellectually inadequate. :o You can't call it footy, because kicking is rare, but punching and thuggery are normal. :lol:

The ladies AFL has been on for weeks and is now well worth watching as the skill levels go up each season dramatically and they tackle as hard as the men. :D
Clearly been a while since you watched a game of proper football. A kick after the fifth tackle if not before and off the boot on the run. The payer must make a "mark" while under pressure and face being tackled as soon as his feet touch the ground ..... or run as hard as he or she can to either get away from a tackle or hit the players making the tackle hard enough that they can get through those opposing players and gain a few more mtrs. Just because the player catches the ball doesn't mean everyone stands back while they prepare to kick it, while they have the ball they are fair game.
No passing the ball forward and if the player the ball was passed to doesn't catch it clean and the ball moves forward off any part of the players body other than the boot, it is called a knock on and the other team get the ball to feed into the scrum ..... no bouncing the ball so players can take a swipe at it, full contact arrow formation by each team, shoulder to shoulder pushing as hard as they can so one team can't push the other team off the ball .....
If the ball goes outside the field of play, the ball goes to the other team to feed into the scrum, or a free kick is awarded to the other team under certain circumstances ....
A much harder game, if you had watched the Storm v Rabbittos game last night, you would have witnessed some great rugby league .... even though the commentators considered some of it to be "scrappy" Just about all of an AFL game would be considered "scrappy" under their interpretation of the state of play ...... To really be called "footy" the only passing would be off the foot and every catch would have to be a mark .... or the opposing team gets the ball ..... I haven't seen that level of skill in any AFL game I've watched .... well, besides my son's junior AFL team where they lost one match in the entire season and that was the preliminary final, they wiped the grounds with that same team in the final ..... every pass was off the boot and every catch was a mark .... that was a game worth watching, not the field ballet they show on tv .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Terry, played a few seasons of league way back, along with AFL for decades and still follow the Storm and Raiders. Our band used to play in the raiders club regularly before they joined and a couple of times after they got into the league. Did watch part of the Storm/Sth game, but it really bores me now days as it's so predicable and lacks any form of development or progress of approach, so is very repetitive and still violent.

The violence just doesn't turn me on, nor the steady stream of drunken/drug abuse we constantly see from players upon partners and the public. To me that's not a very good example for youth or parents, who seem to be turning towards AFL and when you add the insane crowd violence of soccer, there's only one choice. AFL does have similar incidents, but they are rare and most clubs today frown on drinking during the season and the AFL comes down heavily on indiscretions, unlike league.

AFL is a hard game because it's a 360 deg fast game with uses feet and hands, along with lots of kicking so deserves to be called footy, unlike league which kicks only after a few tackles and of course field goals. The difference is why AFL is growing faster than any other sport in the country and especially since AFLW started. Before AFLW there were just a few ladies teams, now there are thousands of teams and just about every AFL comp has womens teams of all ages.

I like watching the ladies 7 a side league and have watched a few ladies league games, but like the mens it becomes boring and AFLW games are very physical and getting more skillful and interesting each season. I grew up in violence and it carried on into my 20's, so I see the footy thugs of today as no different to the thugs I had to contend with in my youth and make no differentiation between codes. Thuggery turns me off any sport or life style and league is just a thugs game in my opinion and promotes thuggery in the community. Thugs in AFL are getting less and less because they get thrown out pretty quickly and that doesn't happen in league, they slap them on the wrist and they join another team to continue their abuse on and off the field. Plus the incidence of brain damage is becoming pronounced in ex league players much more than in AFL, but they both have problems in that area and in my opinion AFL takes better care of players than league as it's slack with it's head high hits protocol.

It's also interesting to see the large crowds for ALF and the empty stadiums for league, who wants to take their kids to watch blokes bashing each other up. They would rather take them to a game where the skills are on display for the whole game and even though it's tough, its not thuggery and that's why crowds are building for AFL and diminishing for league.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Give me AFL (Bombers) and only watch the All Blacks play the other :roll: I used to run around the Essendon footy ground when the boys were at training (after they had finished their day jobs. ;) Alec Epis was our local butcher and Geoff Leek had his shorts yanked down while being tackled ooooh and in front of us kids :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:40 pm Give me AFL (Bombers) and only watch the All Blacks play the other :roll: I used to run around the Essendon footy ground when the boys were at training (after they had finished their day jobs. ;) Alec Epis was our local butcher and Geoff Leek had his shorts yanked down while being tackled ooooh and in front of us kids :lol: :lol:
The all blacks play rugby union don't they, it is the warriors that play rugby league.
As far as violence ...... wasn't it Barry Hall who had the reputation for off the ball violence? This article doesn't seem to view the AFL the way you do NP https://independentaustralia.net/life/l ... ence,14140 Racism still seems to be a problem in AFL as well, so a better example for children .... maybe not ....

If you had watched the last 15 mins of the game between Storm and Bunnies you would have seen some of the best come from behind footy I've ever seen, from 14:0 to a 14 all draw forcing that stupid golden point extra time rubbish, was a real do or die effort from players who were virtually out on their feet.
They should forget the golden point extra time B/S and go back to actually allowing the points to be split if the game ends in a tie ... screw the gambling concerns that need to see a clear winner ....

T1 Terry
Dot

Post by Dot »

Racism is everywhere and that will never change no matter what you say or do, really how offended can one get? I get called a white bitch, big deal suck it up petals, My Maori friend in NZ I call him a dumb black ass and he laughs and calls me things I can't put on here. It is words and just words, grow some balls and ignore it lucky you are being called words rather than a baseball bat over your head. My claytons daughter in NZ I call her husb "a coffee coloured cocoa bean" then I run because he is a big Maori boy that played rugby. The world is F'd, we are nothing but pansies.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

NRL... bit like old heavy lug around AGM batteries.

AFL... Nimble, fast charged, quick. bit like Lithium batteries.

tin hat on. :roll: