Wine judging

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Busman

Wine judging

Post by Busman »

We were asked to enter some wine in the home production section of the annual Stanthorpe Show. A record number of entries this year. We entered 3 reds and 3 whites/
Just got back home with 2 x firsts and 2 x thirds. One first and third were in what many regard as the most important class, dry red. So feeling really full of myself right now !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Wine judging

Post by T1 Terry »

Well done, what categories did you entry and what wines won the other two prizes?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Well done. I think anyone that takes the time and makes an effort to enter anything at the regional shows, deserves a prize. I look forward to sampling some of your produce when I can find time to get to your vineyard.
I reckon that you should give yourself, or your vineyard a plug right here. So others might be able to enjoy products of the Southern Downs and Granite Belt. :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

That is a great honor William, you must have put in many hours to get wine of such high quality. Congratulations.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
bob r

Post by bob r »

Well done Bill....have to come down your way and have a taste.

Bob
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Congratulations William, great result, l'm not a wine drinker unless you produce a good port :D been having a drink of same before bed hoping it will help me sleep. :D
Shirley & Bruce.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Thanks all,
We entered a cabernet (first wine we made) and a saperavi in the fully mature red class. 3rd and first in that order. Also entered a light Shiraz, we call BBQ shiraz, grapes were picked a bit early, in the Italian section, as well as a cabernet rose" May made last vintage, we only put my name on the entry form so she is pissed her name is not there, will be different next year I am told. The Chardy and Verdelho didn't do any good. Now we know the requirements things will be easier. Many people came up and congratulated us after the presentations, some said the Saperavi was best red they had ever drunk !

I am also set up to make all grain beer (from scratch, not tins) but have had no time to do it as we are extending the house at the moment as an owner builder, hopefully will be able to start within a month or so.

Sorry Shirley, we made some Isabella port the first year but I have drunk it all ! You need to be able to access spirit to make port and we don't have a contact at the moment.

This is just a fun thing for us, will never be a business as I would be put in jail for my reaction when some young and stupid asks for sweet moscato ! Having said that sometime before next vintage we will set something up where other people do some of the work for some of the spoils. Have not thought it through as yet but it is in back of mind.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !