Temptation Too Great

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
nut17

Temptation Too Great

Post by nut17 »

Here in NZ our current leader is on a crusade to get all internal combustion engines off the road, with an added tax to all new registrations of vehicles over a certain pollution level to fund a discount on all new EVs $8625 on full electric and $5750 on Hybrids and PHEV. We currently have two cars, a very low km 2008 Subaru Forester XT (21000km) and Marg has a 2015 Holden Barina RS Turbo. We have made the decision to drop back to one car as I can use the motorhome on the odd occasion we have a conflict.
So after much soul searching we have decided to take advantage of Cindys discount scheme and go EV. Initially I was prepared to plunge into the unknown and pre order a new MG ZS Ev full electric at $45k on the road with the discount. But even with a claimed 320 km range I would still have a problem with range anxiety. So - We have taken the plunge and steered away from yet to be proven Chinese car production and ordered a new Nissan / Mitsubishi collaboration Mitsubishi Outlander VRX Hybrid PHEV. The only drive to the wheels is via an 85kw motor (front) and a 100kw motor (rear) and the 2.4 lt petrol engine is directly coupled to a large generator to take over when the 85 km range 20KWH `battery is depleted. As we will 99% of the time use our motorhome when travelling out of town, our daily use of the new vehicle will rarely exceed the 85km battery range. Cost to re charge $2.80 on off peak night rates, or free using our 6.6 kw roof mounted solar from October - April. Have had a 120 km test drive and crikey it is a bit different. I will look forward to becoming proficient using regenerative braking, which all but makes use of the brake pedal redundant. With a 1600kg tow rating and fulltime 4WD - over 200mm ground clearance I will be able to use it to tow and launch my jet boat on the shingle river bed - Just have to be patient and wait until mid July for delivery. I feel a bit like a kid waiting for his new bike on his 10th birthday!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzyvdnJdKU
2020 Winnebago ILUKA on IVECO Daily 50 C. 1200 w Solar - 400 AH LiFePO4
3000 w inverter. 195 lt compressor fridge NZMCA # 15589
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Temptation Too Great

Post by T1 Terry »

They get a good rave on the electric vehicle forum with few problems compared to just about every other vehicle on the road, so a great choice. Can't wait to hear what you think of it after you have owned it for a while

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

They will not get that one through, NZ is on the bones of their asses.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Ummm....... What do you mean they won't get that one? That is the new model that is being released across the world. It has already been available on the road in Japan to test it in the real world .... well as far as real world goes in Japan anyway :lol:
Best of both worlds really, they just need to up the 1600kg towing capacity in later models and the other 4 x 4's will be really in trouble. The Rivan can tow 5 tonne and will be avaiable soon in Australia. They are all electric with up to 700km range, but not towing 5 tonne I'd expect :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Any idea what the Rivan’s price OTR would be?
I’m willing to bet it will be significantly higher than the top-spec Landcruiser! :? :shock:

A tow rating of 1600kg for the Mitzi would be OK for a camper trailer, and maybe a little teardrop van, but yer normal Jaything or offroader is out of the question!

When they reach a tow rating of 3500kg — and are price competitive with ICE 4WDs — they might be talking business…

ps. Do you know how many EV charging stations there are on the Tanami Track? ;)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

About the same amount of service stations I would imagine.
Bernie.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

At least it’s possible to truck in 44s full of diesel for a fuel dump.
You’d need one helluva battery to match that!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Wasn't the question.
Bernie.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

BernieQ2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:47 pm Wasn't the question.
Bernie.
:lol: :lol:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:42 pm At least it’s possible to truck in 44s full of diesel for a fuel dump.
You’d need one helluva battery to match that!
Solar on the roof and not be in such a rush and the fuel is free, how much would it cost to buy and then transport the 44's to the required drop off points? You could buy a lot of solar for the cost of one 44 of diesel without the transport costs ..... $2.25 x 205 ltrs minimum, $100 each for 2nd hand 250w Tindo panels, roughly 5 panels so 1250w x 5 hrs peak sun = 6250w or 6.25kwh, 3 days and the 20 kwh battery is fully recharged ......
So, would the tank refill in 3 days or so after you ran out of diesel?

T1 Terry