New rules for drivers with medical issues

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
2foot6

New rules for drivers with medical issues

Post by 2foot6 »

Here is a link to the new rules for drivers who have medical issues and have medical assessments to drive
https://www.thewebconsole.com/process/l ... 6853ff1aff
There are a number of changes that may affect a lot of us
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
supersparky

Re: New rules for drivers with medical issues

Post by supersparky »

That makes for some interesting reading Peter. I wonder how the authorities would differentiate between a privately registered vehicle with a GVM over 4.5t and a commercial vehicle of the same weight?
I'm certain that these new rules will have an impact on more than a few of us old farts.
Going OT a bit, I see on FBk the highway patrol are stopping caravans around the Gympie Qld area, and putting them over the scales. I wonder how long it will be before they start doing the same thing with motorhomes?
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

The link came to me from the Cardio Myopathy Association that I am a member of, there is a particular section with reference to people with ICD's driving cars, Vic Roads have given me a run for my money driving a light ridged vehicle after taking my medium ridged license off me twelve years ago. So I can only assume it will be harder to keep my license for the motorhome over 4.5 t.This may change things again, must be time to sell the motorhome.. :o :o :o It will interesting to see what does actually happen.
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It is a bit of a worry, with the seemingly constantly ongoing changes to the rules. My GP hinted that there will be a lot more people affected with cardio myopathy and lymphoma type of ailments caused by the covid pandemic. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens next.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:13 pm That makes for some interesting reading Peter. I wonder how the authorities would differentiate between a privately registered vehicle with a GVM over 4.5t and a commercial vehicle of the same weight?
I'm certain that these new rules will have an impact on more than a few of us old farts.
Going OT a bit, I see on FBk the highway patrol are stopping caravans around the Gympie Qld area, and putting them over the scales. I wonder how long it will be before they start doing the same thing with motorhomes?
Interesting, unless they are working in conjunction with the local mermaids, they don't actually have the authority to book anyone operating an over weight vehicle ..... they simply do not have the qualifications they can present to a magistrate that says they have enough skill to check more than lights, tyre tread, rego and engine number ..... they actually don't have the qualifications to check chassis numbers or wiper blades :lol:

Having taken one over enthusiastic constable through the courts and showing I was more qualified than he was to do the vehicle inspection and I said the vehicle was road worth, the case was thrown out of court. It brought the whole defect notice issue in NSW into question, to the point the Police were instructed to write "must be cleared by an inspection station" on the paperwork .... didn't help, all NSW registration inspection stations are an arm of the whole NSW inspection station system ..... Anyone one who was a service centre inspection certified person could remove the sticker :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:15 pm The link came to me from the Cardio Myopathy Association that I am a member of, there is a particular section with reference to people with ICD's driving cars, Vic Roads have given me a run for my money driving a light ridged vehicle after taking my medium ridged license off me twelve years ago. So I can only assume it will be harder to keep my license for the motorhome over 4.5 t.This may change things again, must be time to sell the motorhome.. :o :o :o It will interesting to see what does actually happen.
Probably reduce the licence category to medium rigid and suspend the licence holder from being able to use the log book system, subject to yearly doctors reports.
Margaret mentioned her huffer puffer machine on a licence renewal and now has to get a download from the machine via a sleep clinic, take that to the doctor and they confirm the sleep disorder is under control ..... and that's just for a car licence :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I just rewatched that clip from 7news qld. It clearly shows that both police and transport regulations are involved.
So I guess they have it covered. Personally I think it is a good thing. It might assist some people to realise that they need to know how heavy they are and maybe even assist with weight distribution knowledge. The down side is, that the Qld govt may utilise the weighing of vans and m/h's as another income stream.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
bob r

Post by bob r »

That's what will probably happen Dave the same as trucks.
As a truck driver said on a truckie forum ( welcome to the world of a truck, driver)

Bob
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:55 pm I just rewatched that clip from 7news qld. It clearly shows that both police and transport regulations are involved.
So I guess they have it covered. Personally I think it is a good thing. It might assist some people to realise that they need to know how heavy they are and maybe even assist with weight distribution knowledge. The down side is, that the Qld govt may utilise the weighing of vans and m/h's as another income stream.
As far as I understand it, any vehicle registered as a heavy vehicle over 8 tonne GVM must pass through a weigh station, some are even down as far as 4.5 tonne GVM. If the vehicle is registered as being under 4.5 tonne GVM (car rego) and is directed to enter a weigh station and goes over the 4.5 tonne GVM, the rego is immediately suspended and the driver fined if they do not have a heavy vehicle licence ....... It doesn't matter if registered as private or business, only the log book requirements are waved for private registration

T1 Terry
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Bottom line is: if you comply to your weights, there is nothing to worry about. No revenue stream. (The bus has 1.4 ton spare.)