New rules for drivers with medical issues

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
supersparky

Re: New rules for drivers with medical issues

Post by supersparky »

Whatever the rule, if you get weighed somewhere by the relevant, appropriate authority in your your state of registration and you are overweight, its kinda tuff bickies.
In Qld, most weigh stations start at 4.5 tonne. In NSW some are 4.5, others are 8.0t . No matter what it is, if we are called in, we go in. If the relevant authorities setup a checking station on the side of the road, anywhere in Qld and you don't go in when directed, you are on a road to nowhere. I reckon I know where that one near Gympie is, just a little extra lane on the side of the highway. A deadset gotcha spot.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:00 pm Bottom line is: if you comply to your weights, there is nothing to worry about. No revenue stream. (The bus has 1.4 ton spare.)
as long as the weight is correctly distributed across each wheel group, it's not even axles weights anymore, it is the weight applied to that area of contact with the road. Tankers carting liquid cargo have to be very careful to drive smoothly before and across the checking plates to avoid the liquid shifting and triggering an over mass on any wheel group .... crazy stuff really.
On the other hand, I was freaking out as I entered the Marulan weighing facility because the Cargo truck loaded with the container was over weight for the marked carrying capacity of the truck, but it was still within the max mass allowable on each tyre group so the system passed me through 8-) I did get stopped by a roadside blitz just outside Hay, but when the inspectors realised it had only been passed for initial registration 2 days before, they assumed it had passed across the RTA checking station in Unanderra and didn't want to get into a shitte fight within their own dept, so the sent me on my way without putting me across their mobile scales .... they would have busted me for sure :twisted:
Now the really crazy bit, WA have different weight legalities regarding max mass on the jumbo singles used by many heavy vehicles to get past the front axle weight of say a bus motorhome conversion or a prime mover without the trailer on the turntable to shift weight off the front axle and onto the bogie axles ......

The other crazy one is caravans with weight distributing hitches to move the weight across the towing hitch to the tow vehicle and spread it across the axle groups ..... if they demand to check the ball weight separate or the weight across each axle without the weight distributing hitch ...... how many will be caught then?
Because all heavy vehicle licences are national, it doesn't matter what state you get busted for over weight, the points and bad marks go against your licence ...... but what about a driver on a car licence who is caught interstate driving a vehicle above the weight class for their licence or a vehicle that exceeds the GCM (gross combined mass) for that particular vehicle ..... does the penalty go against their home state licence, are they prevented from continuing their journey if any these offences occur?
It will be a major shitte fight once the offences go beyond the warning stage and become actual driving offences that go on the record .......

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

When SWMBO was 25, her school called for volunteers from the teaching staff to train for the Heavy Rigid vehicle licence required to drive the school’s 44-passenger bus (govt funded for schools in disadvantaged areas).
She was the only female volunteer.
I had to upgrade my licence to MR when we bought Girt.
Every time we pull into a heavy vehicle checkpoint, if she’s driving we’re stopped and her licence checked.
If I’m driving, 99% of the time we’re waved off without checking us.
The only trouble we’ve ever had was a conshy copper in western NSW who insisted we lash down the rear of Jim the Junior Jeep and report to a cop shop with lashings in place within 24hrs… despite the lashing of both front wheels only being legal in our State of Registration — and all other states except NSW.
We complied, and thereafter carried the strap in the car in case we encountered another conshy copper… but have never used it since — even in NSW.
BTW, in Victoria our single-axle car trailer is registered as a box trailer. According to Vic motor registry a car trailer by definition has two axles. 🤔😀
Much the same as CityLink saying privately owned heavy vehicles don’t exist. They’re all commercial heavy vehicles and pay commercial tolls.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

And my tandem axle car trailer (enclosed) is registered as a box trailer in Qld ! Madness !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Ray, I reckon that I had the misfortune to bump into that NSW highway patrol officer a few years ago. She cost me a few dollars that I hadn't budgeted for.
It would be wonderful if we could get one set of rules that apply to all states. I know that is asking a bit much.
We can't even agree on the time of day most of the time :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:29 pm Ray, I reckon that I had the misfortune to bump into that NSW highway patrol officer a few years ago. She cost me a few dollars that I hadn't budgeted for.
It would be wonderful if we could get one set of rules that apply to all states. I know that is asking a bit much.
We can't even agree on the time of day most of the time :roll:
We won't get Australia wide road rules until autonomous vehicles are legally allowed to operate throughout Australia, without a fully licenced driver behind the wheel ready at all times to take control and therefore be the responsible vehicle operator.
An autonomous operating system would not function the way intended when there are different road rules when you cross an imaginary line that identifies one road rule area from another without stopping, shutting down and rebooting with the new operating parameters ... a nightmare where a road may switch and and forth across state lines.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO