Gummints & flags

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Gummints & flags

Post by Greynomad »

Just announced on the news that the NSW flag on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be replaced by the aboriginal flag.
The State flag represents all the people of the state and by implication the government of the day.
ABS figures say that 3.4% of the NSW population is aboriginal.
Does this flag change mean that all gummint MPs will vacate Parliament House to let aborigines run the state?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Gummints & flags

Post by T1 Terry »

I thought the Australian flag represented all the people of the state and the govt. It might be a close run thing if you compare the number in NSW that support the NSW govt and the number who support the aboriginal flag .......

The Sydney Harbour Bridge was not financed by the NSW govt, it was financed by the Australian govt of the time taking out massive loans to improve the employment opportunities for those who wanted to work on the project and that meant they had to be accommodated in the Sydney area thus improving the flow on effects of money circulating in the economy. The whole Australian population paid for the bridge in one way or another.

Any idea the number of aboriginals employed in the construction of the bridge? Any who were employed back then received half the pay of a non aboriginal worker .... the risks were the same, yet the simple act of flying the flag upsets you?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

I’m tired of the vocal minority of aborigines and their white camp followers, with dubious claims to aboriginality, demanding that I feel guilty for something our ancestors did at a time when different values and attitudes applied.
I’d be happy to have the advisory group being proposed to help govts redress the institutional neglect of the past two centuries, so long as it is just that — advisory.
I don’t believe that the current generation of white Australians can be held responsible for the actions of our ancestors, any more than the current generation of aborigines can be held accountable for the stock theft, murder and arson of their ancestors.
That would be akin to charging the current CEO of the Melbourne Zoo with animal cruelty for the way animals were caged and displayed in the 1800s.
Our national anthem was changed from “… we are young” to “… we are one”, but it seems to me that a vocal minority are intent on proving that wrong.
The flag stunt is just one more straw…
Mind you, I thought $25m to add another flagpole was excessive, but I would have found three flagpoles & flags marginally more acceptable than the current decision.
As an example of just how ludicrous the current efforts to placate the angry rabble has become, Channel 10 weather report last night had all Australian capital city names replaced with aboriginal names… never mind that most of the cities covered multiple tribal regions. Don’t know if they have been doing this before, as I never watch their news, just caught it while channel surfing.

As Winston Churchill once said,
“If the present sits in judgment on the past, we lose the future.”
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Agree Ray, so true many, many people who now identify as Aboriginal, are more Aglo Saxon or whatever, the situation is ridiculous, the Aboriginal names that have been erected locally, we now find out are incorrect, do we really need you are now entering whatever country?

Then you have the State schools no longer saying the Lord's Prayer because it affends some people?
Shirley & Bruce.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

"I don’t believe that the current generation of white Australians can be held responsible for the actions of our ancestors, any more than the current generation of aborigines can be held accountable for the stock theft, murder and arson of their ancestors."

You didn't say what the whites did Ray just the Aboriginals . A form of Racism??
Bernie.
Last edited by BernieQ2 on Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Does that mean George is partly responsible for his German (part) heritage for the war crimes Germans inflicted on the Jews? He is an indigenous Australian (born to this land)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

In the past, the Premiers of both Qld and NSW would have a friendly but and fly the state flag of the winners on the losers bridge for some period of time. What's going to happen now? Will they have to take down the Australian flag when Qld beat NSW on Wednesday night?
Seriously though, where will it end? What's next?
Maybe Bruce Pascoe for PM?
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Then there was the white skinned native indig woman on tv basking in her flag glory win now wanting her lingo taught in schools???, so does that means there will have to have many different indig teachers in schools to teach the other mobs lingo??? bloody hell where is there an uninhabitable island somewhere?. I may also suggest we all change our status to indig or TSI people and apply for all we will be entitled for but don't work in any government jobs.,leave them to the original ones. Just sayin.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

My understanding is that the NSW flag is being replaced by the Aboriginal flag, so there will be just 2 flags; the Aboriginal flag and the Australian flag. Thus saving $25 million on a third flag pole.

Makes perfect sense to me. But then, I am a simple person.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BernieQ2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:42 pm "I don’t believe that the current generation of white Australians can be held responsible for the actions of our ancestors, any more than the current generation of aborigines can be held accountable for the stock theft, murder and arson of their ancestors."

You didn't say what the whites did Ray just the Aboriginals . A form of Racism??
Bernie.
Bernie,
I thought my post was long enough, but if you insist:
Mass murder, poisoning, dispossession, desecration of sacred sites, the ‘stolen generation’…
Is that enough? Have I left out your favourite?
Oh, yes. The creation of the ‘poor me’ welfare-dependent generation.
Last edited by Greynomad on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields