Gummints & flags

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Noggins

Re: Gummints & flags

Post by Noggins »

Personally I think that Not putting up another flag pole saves 25 Mill immediately!
This 25Mill could be better spent on the ones suffering from climate disasters rather than sucking up to a merely small % of racial dividers.
Then the so-called Aboriginal flag, ( newly acquired after the stealing of its identity from the legal owner ) a sincere representation of (alledged )backcountry pedophiles, for all to see, as some of my ancestors would say "Have you no shame".

Ron
P.S DNA proven FNQ ancestry !
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Ray is slowly, perhaps very slowly awakening to the fact that you must be a minority to get something done in this country. What happebed to democracy for the majority ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Busman wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:07 pm Ray is slowly, perhaps very slowly awakening to the fact that you must be a minority to get something done in this country. What happened to democracy for the majority ?
It's the squeaky wheel that gets the attention ;)
And the Gubbermint has found if you throw several million dollars at it it will be quiet for a day or two :roll:

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Ron,
I have DNA proof that I am 7th generation Australian. 😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Wow, all that from stirring the pot about the NSW flag being replaced by an aboriginal flag.
I have to ask the question, how many of those who are up in arms about it, actually NSW residents?
I was born there, spent a lot of my life there and only left there around 6 yrs back, but I'm not jumping up and down about it, basically I don't really care one way or the other, except for the fact it might have avoided wasting $25 mil on a flag pole. but you can be certain they will waste it on something just as silly .... maybe they will spend the $25 mil on a flag pole for the NSW flag :lol: :roll:

Are we really that insecure about our Australian-ism that we get so upset about a collective group of tribes that want to call themselves indigenous and have a flag that they can all feel represents them?
Sad to say, but the Australian flag doesn't do much of job to make them feel secure, the flag of the nation that did so much wrong by the original tribes is still in the corner of the Australian flag ...... we don't feel we are guilty of the atrocities done under that flag, but we are in no hurry to denounce that we are still apart of that nation ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

This guy had brains and balls, not one of the mobs here could think of this for unity.

The Waitangi flagstaff marks the spot where the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed on 6 February 1840. The flags that fly today are the three official flags New Zealand has had since 1834 – Te Kara, the flag of the United Tribes of New Zealand (from 1834-present), the Union flag (from 1840-1902), and the New Zealand flag (from 1902-present).

Hōne Wiremu Heke Pōkai, born Heke Pōkai and later often referred to as Hōne Heke, was a highly influential Māori rangatira of the Ngāpuhi iwi and a war leader in northern New Zealand; he was affiliated with the Ngati Rahiri, Ngai Tawake, Ngati Tautahi, Te Matarahurahu and Te Uri-o-Hua hapū of Ngāpuhi. Hōne Heke fought with Hongi Hika, an earlier war leader of the Ngāpuhi, in the Musket Wars. Hōne Heke is considered the principal instigator of the Flagstaff War in 1845–46
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
Do the Maori have a single islands-wide language, or regional languages?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1 Terry wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:08 pm
Are we really that insecure about our Australian-ism that we get so upset about a collective group of tribes that want to call themselves indigenous and have a flag that they can all feel represents them?

T1 Terry
Only because the people jumping up & down about “being represented in gummint” are probably less than 1% of the 3.4% claiming aboriginal ancestry— mathematically that’s about 0.0255% — which makes their actual number about three-fifths of five-eighths of a gnat’s left testicle.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

www.maorilanguage.info/mao_lang_faq.html
Ray my Clayton's daughter's Maori husb reckons mainly one but 3 in all. Eng, Maori and ? another but she sent me this link. It is taught in schools as well. I think there is a slight difference between the Nth & Sth Island.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
Discounting English, I’d call that one language with a South Island dialect.
I was asking about the pre-white-arrival situation.

I believe Australian aborigines had something between 300 and 900 languages (depending on who’s counting and their criteria).

Makes it difficult to determine what the aboriginal names for areas & landforms were.

Case in point: I have been told (can’t verify it) that when Cook was repairing the Endeavour at what is now Cooktown, he asked a local what he called the giant rats bounding about the countryside. Said local is reported to have answered (in his language), “I don’t know.” or perhaps, “I don’t know what you’re asking.”
Thus the animal became known as a “kangaroo”.
True dinks… maybe. 😀
Apparently it has/had other names in other areas, just as with the didgeridoo and boomerang. What’s the betting that the same applies to landforms and territories.

T1,
A ps: I also spent my first 23 years living in NSW. Thus my interest.
I agree that spending $25m putting a third flagpole on the coathanger is ludicrous. Reminds me of tales about NASA tenders: $3,500 for an “impact delivery system”…. otherwise known as a “hammer”. 🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields