OH Crappppp

Place your jokes in this section. A little naughty will be tolerated but please no really vulgar ones!!! If you might be offended it may be better to bypass this section!!!
Bow

Re: OH Crappppp

Post by Bow »

Just home from a six month holiday in the NT.
Six months without coming across grid power, most of the NT runs on diesel generators.
Electric cars are completely useless in large parts of Australia.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Bow wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:06 am Just home from a six month holiday in the NT.
Six months without coming across grid power, most of the NT runs on diesel generators.
Electric cars are completely useless in large parts of Australia.
A word of caution from my recent experience
You have to state "IN MY OPINION" before making this statement or the forum might be closed down by the moderator.
the post should read; In my opinion Electric cars are completely useless in large parts of Australia.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:55 pm Don't get this two way battery bumf. Ok if you have solar at home, you can charge the car, lets say you are home on Sunday, go to work like most people Monday to Friday. BUT, if you use the car battery to power the house overnight you don't have enough left to go to work on Monday, so you have to take the wifes petrol car ? I would get it if solar worked at night, could be recharged after sleepy byes but that aint the case ? Something does not add up here ?
I guess it depends if you drive 400km to work each day ... not a lot of people do that and then come home that evening ...... Even a 100km drive to work is considered a long commute by car and generally only taken by train commuters .... although I did work 3 mths on, 3 mths off with a 128km work commute each way when I worked at the crane mob .... but I still would have had power available there to recharge to 100% during the day, so I'd be bringing more than 60% capacity by the time I reached home, maybe more, there is a lot of down hill getting back home down the mountain.
100km used out of a 400km range means that 3/4 of the battery capacity can be used to power the house and still have enough to get to work where you can recharge for the day.
But what about mum's taxi/shopping cart, that doesn't do real long trips away from home and has the rooftop solar available to recharge it. If you did have such a long commute to work, the savings free fuel would provide could cover buying two EV's with 400km range, then swap cars each day. Mum's car wold be 100% SOC and the work car would be 75% allowing for the 100km trip home.
The 400km range battery is up around 60kwh capacity, that gives 40kwh capacity to power the house and still have 25% the next day ...... you would need to be a serious power waster to use 40kwh over night .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:22 pm Back in the work days, we had an electrical engineer that refused to set foot in a HV switch room or anywhere that VSD's were fitted. It took a while but he finally admitted that he had a pacemaker. Dunno why he tried to hide the fact. He would have got a lot less flak about it. I could never wear my you beaut Bluetooth hearing aids in any of those areas either, the white noise used to get a bit over the top.
What is a VSD? Or should that have been a VFD, variable frequency drive like used in most electric cars these days.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

VSD = VFD. All the Scada systems were set up to show % of Max speed. It's a term commonly used in industrial electrics. Some plant operations staff aren't real clever and trying to convert frequency to potential output speed may have caused issues :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

ev again.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:58 pmev again.jpg
If you can't get fuel, is any sort of vehicle useless in an emergency? If the EV battery is charged, you can get 400kms to the next spot to recharge, if there isn't anywhere within 400 kms to recharge, you are stuffed anyway because there in no where to get fuel either .... An EV can charge via a 240vac lead, it's just slower, but a powered site at a caravan park is a charging station, in an emergency you could sleep in the car, or an onsite van or a cabin. If the servo can generate power to run the fuel pumps, it can recharge your EV, it might not be as cheap as charging at home, but I doubt the fuel at that servo is discounted either ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

A few years ago I was heading to a mates place up in the Strathbogie Ranges. Stopped into Euroa for a feed and a tank of LPG. Found that the main grid feeder into town had dropped out. No food, no fuel, no nothing. Nothing works in an emergency, even your mobile will cut out, unless they can get gensets into the transmission towers.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Most of them now seem to have battery and generator back up, the bigger service stations do as well, power is no longer one of those things that can be relied on and will only get worse over the short term.

Many moons back when I was still a CMCA member of doing the rally circuit, we met an electrician bloke who had, what I thought at the time, a mega power system. He told us of a case where they had reached an outback servo that had lost power due to heavy rain getting into the underground wiring. He needed fuel and offered to power the fuel pump from his bus ..... ended up there for a few days powering the basics in the road house, free fuel and a generous cash in hand payment once the power was restored .... so portable solar/battery/inverter supply was even a thing back then :lol:

T1 Terry
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

How long ago was back then Terry?

Does everone enjoy picking on Terry?

PeterH
PeterH