OH Crappppp

Place your jokes in this section. A little naughty will be tolerated but please no really vulgar ones!!! If you might be offended it may be better to bypass this section!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: OH Crappppp

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:10 pm Monday we picked up our new petrol car and I looked over the $15000 more expensive plug in hybrid and thought I made the right decision. Then I came across this easy conversion to an electric car..image015.jpeg
Typical, a conversion without actually thinking it through, the electrical tape will never hold the power of that motor :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

They encase nuclear reactors in concrete.

Maybe a Boral cement mixer with red and blue flashing lights will do the trick.
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

I'm sayin nuffin again
9775E770142042469A2B89E764682EEC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

:lol: A bucket of sand will put out a battery fire if you get to it before it engulfs the whole car.
Have you ever seen the results of a truck fire where the diesel fuel tanks ruptured, water doesn't put it out, it burns until there is nothing left to burn. Then there was the B/S about LPG tanks catching fire, yet they hung plastic petrol tanks under the rear of cars ....

There does need to be a unified position for the battery isolator switch/fuse that is easily accessed yet close to the battery pack. that way all first responders will know where to isolate the high voltage battery in the case of a vehicle fire or crash.
The battery is the least likely to catch fire, if the idea of full immersion batteries (for temp control) takes off, there is not much possibility of ever having a battery fire.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

All racing cars must have a large yellow triangle with a lightning bolt in it pointing to the battery isolator.
(Although sometimes it can get lost in the myriad advertisements on the Supercars!🙄)

Maybe a similar thing should be mandated for EVs…

I know most RVs have a “Battery Box” sticker on the door to the electrical goings-on. Dunno if it’s mandatory or just recommended. 🤔
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:42 pm All racing cars must have a large yellow triangle with a lightning bolt in it pointing to the battery isolator.
(Although sometimes it can get lost in the myriad advertisements on the Supercars!🙄)

Maybe a similar thing should be mandated for EVs…

I know most RVs have a “Battery Box” sticker on the door to the electrical goings-on. Dunno if it’s mandatory or just recommended. 🤔
Exactly, the EV traction battery does have a contactor that cuts the circuit when the vehicle is switched off or a roll over or inertia switch is triggered .... but if the contacts weld closed, an actual mechanical isolation is required.
At a motor vehicle accident or fire, they pry the bonnet open and cut the battery cables, that's ok for 12v, not so good for 700vdc or 960vdc that some of the high end luxury vehicle now run ..... the current that could be running through that cable would vaporise the end of the cable shears ..... and the hands of the person holding them if they were touching anything to complete the circuit.
The EV isolation switch is a generally a plastic assemble that also holds the slow blow fuse, the idea is to pull the fuse using an isolated plastic handle and shielding that protects the operator from any risk of arc burn or molten metal splatter is a high current arc was to form .... but around that time the slow blow fuse would trigger filling the gap between each end of the fuse with sand to stop any arc forming.

T1 Terry
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

The EV isolation switch is a generally a plastic assemble that also holds the slow blow fuse, the idea is to pull the fuse using an isolated plastic handle and shielding that protects the operator from any risk of arc burn or molten metal splatter is a high current arc was to form .... but around that time the slow blow fuse would trigger filling the gap between each end of the fuse with sand to stop any arc forming.
which would probably ignite the can of petrol used to fill the generator which is used for when the batteries go flat.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 pm
which would probably ignite the can of petrol used to fill the generator which is used for when the batteries go flat.
Probably, clearly carrying generators is a risky business, better to use a quality battery installation and forget about carrying the generator at all ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

A You Tube video about the electric Cat haul trucks that will be running around a Rio Tinto mine in the Pilbara soon. About half way through there is a short video sent in showing the electric busses recharging ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU3U2csPg-k&t=2610s

T1 Terry

EDIT: Just found this video showing the truck in action along with a pitch from Caterpillar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt0k3TYFh3k
and a bit of a write up https://www.caterpillar.com/en/news/cor ... truck.html
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

For those wondering how the grid will cope with EV's and how country areas will adapt to the EV charging transition, this might help https://electrek.co/2022/12/01/ultra-fa ... d-battery/

T1 Terry