Girt’s successor

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Greynomad

Girt’s successor

Post by Greynomad »

Well, people, we found a replacement for Girt.

Some of you may think less of us, but we have moved to the Dark Side. 🫣

Yes! Girt has been replaced with a 4WD & caravan.

As we no longer travel far and wide for months or years, we didn’t need the size & storage capacity we had in Girt.

We chose a second hand semi-off-road van which the owner had fitted out with solars, dual batteries, grey water tank and other minor tweaks so he could tour independently, as we had with Girt.

The tug (see? I speak Caravan as well as Motorhome. 😀) is a demo model Isuzu MU-X we picked up with only 10,00km on the dial.

See you OTR — or maybe off it — sometime…
2F0D984D-075D-49D1-9806-CC993417008A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Re: Girt’s successor

Post by supersparky »

Looks good Ray. There is no dark side anymore. Make the most of getting out and about and enjoying life. I think I saw Girt up in Qld a week or so ago.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Looks good Ray, how is Joy going with the hitching and unhitching of the van? I guess with the reversing cameras you don't even have to stand out there and guide her now, just relax in the air conditioned MUX ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

And you are off and away then? no fun watching you two getting into a parking spot then is there? ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Ray is the Isuzu MUX a 4x4 ?
Shirley & Bruce.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---The old park space is still available, and you know the way.
I will start a list of jobs and odds and ends that need doing/completing/on-hold and in obeyance.
The 1st on the list is 'get here'. You don't need 4-wheel drive in Queensland, just heavy-duty shockers.
Don't forget to have a 2-way CB fitted to the unit it there is not one already installed.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:34 pm Ray is the Isuzu MUX a 4x4 ?
Shirley,
Third line of OP. Yes. Six-speed auto transmission with 2WD/4WD/4Low range.
There is a 2WD version available. We want to resume exploring off-the-bitumen places & some of the more remote tracks & sand hills. We sorely missed Jim the Junior Jeep.

Everyone else:
Only brought the van home Wednesday.

I hitched & unhitched it for the journey from Yarrawonga.
Joy’s turn coming soon. When you have four plugs, all different (two Anderson plugs labelled & colour-coded) it SHOULD be no problem.

Still have to sort the screen for the rear view camera.
The one supplied by the towbar people is too big, blocks view of the road when stuck on the windscreen. No empty space on the fascia of the dashboard for it. The hang-on-the-mirror one included by seller has a different plug.
MU-X has an HDMI option in the dashboard screen.
We’ll investigate that with a local auto-electrician.

I managed to reverse it onto the slab the old-fashioned way: Joy out back with hand signals. 😁 No drama. (Forgot to take the hand-held CBs. In future they will be stowed in one of the three gloveboxes.)

CB, bullbar will be added as funds allow.
Towbar, replacement power-folding extendable towing mirrors & rear camera wiring has put a large pothole in the bank balance. Patching that pothole will take time. 😢

Not planning any interior mods… middle & rear seats folded for greyhounds accommodation, genny, folding table & chairs & whatever else we find we need to FETH (Fall Easily To Hand). 😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I have a MUX 4x4 Ray, 4 years old, love it, plenty of room to take the 4 g'sons to the beach, out & about, although some of the bowls ladies find it a little high to get into even though it has running boards. :lol: :lol:
IMG_1844.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley,
Joy has the same problem: duck’s disease. 🦆

Your MU-X looks good. Ours is the same body shape, built in 2021. Only subtle changes for the 2022 body. Mostly extra goodies inside and under-chassis upgrade.
We looked at the Isuzu bullbar, but like ARB’s black one better.
As the van is black & white, we thought a black bullbar on a white car would match perfectly. Besides, one of my batchelor-days cars had a chrome bullbar — I had to put black tape on the back of the bits above the headlights. These days some manufacturers pre-spray those bits with matte black paint.

Maybe Santa will be kind to us… 🤞🙏😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Sue the councils for building the roads / foot paths too high , or maybe get a ramp made :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.