Ford Lightning

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Riverlander

Ford Lightning

Post by Riverlander »

Just been looking at a review on the Ford Lightning. The model with the big battery towing a van about as heavy as ours had a range of 100 miles (This was an American test) or 160 klm. Charging rate to 80% from a super charger was 45 min. Just worked out on a trip to Tumby Bay I do quite often with my Ranger I fuel up at Port Augusta to get me to Tumby. With the Lightning I would have to charge at Morgan,Burra,Orroroo,Port Augusta,Whyalla,Arno Bay to get to Tumby. About 4Hrs charging time. The battery would not be fully depleted at all of the stops but of course after Morgan it would only have 80% charge.
Not knocking electric vehicles in general as the will do what a lot of people need from a vehicle but for heavy work in the real world they still have a way to go. Cheers John
bob r

Re: Ford Lightning

Post by bob r »

I think that is what most people have a problem with John don't think many are against EVs they don't have enough travel distance when towing a decent load
Maybe in a few years with batteries that hold a bigger charge things will be better.

Bob
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I hope that all the relevant motoring bodies are making inroads into the lack of EV charging stations once you get off the main highways. And also for the inner city dwellers that don't have a dedicated parking spot. We are all going to have to get an EV sooner than we expected. Govt policy will ensure that, by making it too hard to get an ICE. I have noticed that a couple of the independent fuel suppliers are (in Qld anyway) starting to install EV charging stations.
Of course the nay sayers and drama queens will create a big kerfuffle about lack of choice, or be resistant to change.
Cast your mind back to when LPG powered vehicles became common. The firey's put up a big song and dance.
There was a piece in today's Herald Sun about how much water was needed to extinguish a EV fire. Didn't mention how much sand they could use for same result.
Whether we like it or not, change is coming.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

I have just placed an order for a Mitsubishi Outlander, when I was at the dealer a few new Outlander plug in hybrids arrived. Spoke to the dealer about the price , then gladly finished my order. The hybrid was only $15000 more, I think that $15000 buys a lot of petrol for the rest of my driving days. :oops: ;)
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The electric medium heavy vehicle market has to get it's act together before Rivian https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/d ... ay-132704/ hits the shores in 2024. Claimed to have a load rating of 5 tonne and a range of around 500kms (I doubt that would be towing the 5 tonne :lol: ) and the price semms to be around the same as a mid range LC200 GXL Landcruiser and cheaper than the equivalent
GXL 300, even though it has a smaller engine capacity than the LC200.
No doubt, those who are into fitting long range tanks to their 4 X 4 can add a long range battery pack/s .... although how many people tow their van more than say 250km without a break?
That van they are building for Amazon really looks like it would make a great base for a motorhome build .... might have to hang out until 2024 Peter (Petels) ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:25 pm I have just placed an order for a Mitsubishi Outlander, when I was at the dealer a few new Outlander plug in hybrids arrived. Spoke to the dealer about the price , then gladly finished my order. The hybrid was only $15000 more, I think that $15000 buys a lot of petrol for the rest of my driving days. :oops: ;)
Yeah, but then the resale price for a vehicle that is not at least hybrid will be ...... not real good I reckon, how much will fuel cost and how hard will it be to get by then Peter? ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Hi Terry,
2024 is along time at my age I might not make it.

PeterH
PeterH
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:47 am
2foot6 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:25 pm I have just placed an order for a Mitsubishi Outlander, when I was at the dealer a few new Outlander plug in hybrids arrived. Spoke to the dealer about the price , then gladly finished my order. The hybrid was only $15000 more, I think that $15000 buys a lot of petrol for the rest of my driving days. :oops: ;)
Yeah, but then the resale price for a vehicle that is not at least hybrid will be ...... not real good I reckon, how much will fuel cost and how hard will it be to get by then Peter? ;)

T1 Terry
I think when I give up driving the resale price won't be an issue, when Vic Roads take my license off me which could be sooner than later, the vehicle would be then given to one of my grandchildren. I didn't buy the vehicle for resale value, I bought it so I can get around now with comfort and easier driving in my last few years. ( and the 10 year warranty :lol: ) That $15000 would get me 37,500 k's if fuel was $5.00 a litre and that's ok with me , I drive around 7000 k's a year now and that will decrease over time so that $15000 pays for most of my future driving.
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:30 pm
T1 Terry wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:47 am

T1 Terry
I think when I give up driving the resale price won't be an issue, when Vic Roads take my license off me which could be sooner than later, the vehicle would be then given to one of my grandchildren. I didn't buy the vehicle for resale value, I bought it so I can get around now with comfort and easier driving in my last few years. ( and the 10 year warranty :lol: ) That $15000 would get me 37,500 k's if fuel was $5.00 a litre and that's ok with me , I drive around 7000 k's a year now and that will decrease over time so that $15000 pays for most of my future driving.
Fair enough, you had concerns about the affect the motor controller could have on your pacemaker as well, so no point it risking a ticker lock up and wrecking a nice car eh ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

pet-els wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:48 pm Hi Terry,
2024 is along time at my age I might not make it.

PeterH
I remember reaching 17 seemed to take forever, then finally reaching part pension age seemed to take a lot longer than I was comfortable with, now time seems to have sped up big time :shock: None of us know what's happening in our future so everything is a bit of a gamble and no one wants to wait 14 mths to get their hands on a vehicle that they then have to fit out ..... but then again, the waiting list for a new motorhome of any size is longer than that so ...... Might be time to look for a good second hand unit, if you really want the hybrid upgrade, you can always add it later ...... If you want full electric, not sure just what is available ex Japan, might be worth looking at J Spec, Ironchef imports and those sort of import places .....

T1 Terry

T1 Terry