wet feet in Mannum

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Dot

Re: wet feet in Mannum

Post by Dot »

Saw on the news tonight that they were dismantling the levees in the main street. I didn't expect the water to be gone done so soon, what does Nigel say about that? How is the Marina doing Bruce, any problems?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Hi Dot!
Just the usual problem of too much water!
2 days of strong winds has caused the level to go back up a few inches so now the hand rails on the walk way are back below water.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

With the river so wide at the moment, the wind is really whipping up the waves resulting in the edges of the road being eaten away. They might be a bit premature removing the levee banks until the water drops further. I think it might be a bit of panic pressure to get the main street open again before people forget about coming to Mannum for that day trip or as part of their holiday scheduling plans. Mannum relies very heavily on the tourist trade, without it, the council would be based in a tiny village rather than their showcase town ....

I t would be wonderful if they dumped all that dirt along the edge of Purnong Rd so we could have a walking track up past our place rather than the "dodge the car" affair we have at the moment. There are very few spots a vehicle could pull off the road along that stretch. so a pathway on the river side would at least give somewhere for a vehicle to stop if needed ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I was talking with one of the ferry operators a few days back. At the moment the powers that be say the ferries should be running again in around two weeks, but there are no connecting roads on the other side yet so they will have to be rebuilt first before traffic starts to flow again.
When I mentioned about the water still having to arrive from the Darling and the new flood water from the Murrumbidgee meeting up at about the same time at Wentworth and coming down in virtually a wall of water because all the outer edges of the flooded river are still saturated ...... he said the powers that be estimate the rise will only be around 40cm, when I mentioned the difference between the peak and the level at that point was only 30 cms, then add the water rise if it coincided with a few days of the wind blowing back up the river .... his reply, I guess I'll be back here in the caravan when that happens, possibly up on the table to stay out of the water :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Nothing much on the news about the floods everywhere, stupid stuff like a pell funeral seems to be more important.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Nothing that the news services can sell, Dot.
But don't worry, they will find something to beat up, or beat their chest about. People being out of their home or unable to work because of flooding, is only news for so long.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Just saw this about the pub in Mannum.
Screenshot_20230210_140025_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

things changed ...... and?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Did it say which pub? There are two in Mannum, Beachies is the old pub and the Pretoria is the up market pub right on the river. The Pretoria built its own levee bank that failed very early in the whole flooding saga, then the road was closed so the only way to the old pub was by foot ...... but I believe it's still operating. The Pretoria had a classy wine cellar that started to flood because it seems no one had thought about the water soaking through the dirt and into the cellar because the floor would have been below the river level.

Photos of the '56 flood showing the sand bag walkway across the road to an upstairs entrance to a pub is the Pretoria hotel.

As far as the water level dropping, it is happening a bit quicker now, the top of the water meter for our house is now showing but also the fact that the dirt bank that went out past the big gum tree is no longer there ..... no jetties have reappeared yet, so still quite a bit to go, but the erosion damage is becoming more evident each day now. Brian even has to walk his tinny across the road in front of his houseboat because it bottoms out with him in it, the road still isn't showing though ....

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dunno which pub Terry. I can't open the link without buying a subscription to the paper. And that's not gunna happen.
Already have one to the Courier Mail, that cross references one Sydney paper and one Melbourne one. Probably copies the GC one as well. And they are all full of fluff and nonsense and political spin doctor BS.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine