Ford, Holden or VW ??

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Greynomad

Re: Ford, Holden or VW ??

Post by Greynomad »

I had (I’m now ashamed to admit) that I once owned a Morris 1500 Nomad.
That was a station-wagon-ish version of the beefed-up 1100… rather a short-lived production run. Don’t get me started.
It had a “full camping body”, which meant both front and back bench seats could be instantly converted into a double bed — without having to get out of the car!
A very handy feature when you’re 19… :D ;)

(The sedan version of the 1500 didn’t have that feature.)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:31 am I had (I’m now ashamed to admit) that I once owned a Morris 1500 Nomad.
That was a station-wagon-ish version of the beefed-up 1100… rather a short-lived production run. Don’t get me started.
It had a “full camping body”, which meant both front and back bench seats could be instantly converted into a double bed — without having to get out of the car!
A very handy feature when you’re 19… :D ;)

(The sedan version of the 1500 didn’t have that feature.)
Carol's parents had the same Ray they used to go camping with us...they had a tarp off the rear lid when it was up....have old photo's somewhere.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I wouldn't worry about that. There are a few old Valiants getting around this way. I was chatting to an owner a while back commenting on how stunning it was, and how 30 odd years ago, it had a different appreciation.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:31 am
I wouldn't worry about that. There are a few old Valiants getting around this way. I was chatting to an owner a while back commenting on how stunning it was, and how 30 odd years ago, it had a different appreciation.
The only problem the Nomad had was the production people were doing gearbox modifications on the fly rather than continuing the parts for the early box and then in the next model releasing the 5 sp with all the upgrades. As it was, trying to rebuild a gearbox for one required a minimum of a day on a microfiche reader looking for parts that actually corresponded to the only gearbox case available. The original failed part was NLA because it had been superseded but another part that was now NLA and the replacement part didn't fit the superseded case ..... and on it went. The car itself, brilliant, so was the Morris 1100 and Austin 1800.
As far as the Valiant, had a VC sedan and you could fit a 3/4 mattress in the boot. Modify the back seat so it folded down, crawl through and pull the rear seat back up into position if you didn't want to be disturbed :lol: Had a string of VW Kombis, VW station wagons and beetles, all good for the same end user purpose, they never picked on them like they did panelvans ;) 8-)

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

While we are still talking about VW's, I just finished watching a recording of a show that was on SBS last week.
The World's fastest EV. A Guy Martin special. Had some interesting comments and procedures. The battery destruction test area was most interesting. The English fire brigade have developed a method of extinguishing a fully engulfed EV fire. They have a big kevlar like blanket that they drag over the vehicle and starve the fire of oxygen.
It's a very interesting show, apart from the fluff. Probably still on iview.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

supersparky wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:41 pm While we are still talking about VW's, I just finished watching a recording of a show that was on SBS last week.
The World's fastest EV. A Guy Martin special. Had some interesting comments and procedures. The battery destruction test area was most interesting. The English fire brigade have developed a method of extinguishing a fully engulfed EV fire. They have a big kevlar like blanket that they drag over the vehicle and starve the fire of oxygen.
Saw one similar, this dickhead goes to all the trouble under the sun to fit a subaru donk to a beetle ,went like the clappers ,cost millions...

Then a cookie boy put a Elon Musko donk in his beetle, :o 8-) they wondered what passed one of Muskos rockets on launch day, was the bloke in the vee dubb... :mrgreen:

vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Then a cookie boy put a Elon Musko donk in his beetle, :o 8-) they wondered what passed one of Muskos rockets on launch day, was the bloke in the vee dubb... :mrgreen:

Ahh. so it rocket science.... oh, wrong forum . sorry.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Jon,
I was going to post a sound bite from “Rocket Man”, but you’ve stolen my thunder… 😁

Good one, though! 🤣
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
I eventually gave up on the Nomad.
Traded it in for an HT Holden sedan.
The clincher was the fifth gearbox in the 12 months warranty period. Mechanic said jamming five gears into the 4-speed casing meant skinnier selector forks, which were prone to failure. But they kept replacing them with the same thing.
With the fourth failure, mechanic told me there was a MkII gearbox being installed in the production line.
When I suggested it would be logical to replace my dodgy g’box with a MkII, he said, “Nah. It’ll void your warranty.”
🙄
My reply was, “F*^% the warranty, fit the bl@@dy MkII!”
They did. No more snapped selector forks.
At least, I sold it before it had a chance to fail.

ps. Did you know that BMC Australia imported the first Renault 16 — before Renault released it here?
Obviously did a bit of reverse engineering, and beat them to the punch with the Nomad.

I later owned a 16… bl@@dy nice tourer. VERY comfortable seats, low-stressed engine & versatile body configurations.
Used to completely remove the back seat to travel with three Labradors… (and our luggage). 😀
Last edited by Greynomad on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:41 pm While we are still talking about VW's, I just finished watching a recording of a show that was on SBS last week.
I didn't see any fluff in there, although being British it was probably so cold it was covered in 5 layers of insulating clothing so it didn't look like fluff "It was Fluff Jim, but not as we know it" :lol:

Simply shook my head watching that 1/4 mile attempt, all the required parameters are in the software to reduce the torque at the point of launch to stop the wheel spin and add that and more as it continues down the strip ..... They had the power because they beat the 1/4 mile exit speed, they just weren't putting it down on the track .... you'd think they would have brought someone in that knew the technology of both VFD tuning and drag car tuning ....

But watching Guy Martin go A over T on the electric push bike was good for a laugh 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO