Bernie's u-bolt saga.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
BernieQ2

Re: Bernie's u-bolt saga.

Post by BernieQ2 »

I can't move the axle Bob.
I may have to remove the other wheel today to see if I can, I'm running out of Jack's 😖.
Bernie.
bob r

Post by bob r »

Can't get a crowbar on the wheel studs ? Block n tackle ratchet strap?

Bob
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Short answer Bob...No.
Nothing to attach too.
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

Bernie I've used ratchet straps or comealongs (those little handheld winch things) to move things slightly to get things to line up when installing big heavy stuff. quite often need one on each side to get things to line up and remember to have everything loose on both sides until the job is fully reassembled.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Porta power kits are extremely cheap on ebay.

I think I mentioned this on Sat 29th.

1 jack to position the eye vertically.
Portapower to move length ways. Push on the axle.
1 jack to position side ways. Push on the spring near the eye.

The old scissor and bottle jacks are ideal.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I have been using small jacks wind up plus crank, so far to no avail.
Nowhere to attach any ratchet straps....or I would have used them.
Thanks.
Bernie.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Hey...some good news. The spring is in some time around midday...wacko.
I did take the wheel off on the other side...a job in it's self :D
And still couldn't move the axle :evil: I drove a star picket into the ground in front of the bus and using a ratchet strap all I achieved with that was bending the picket. I banged it in abought a meter in the ground, and was attached at ground level.
I then took the spring out once more :evil: and put it back attached to the axle as Ron had said, I already had done this before...Anyway, after much cursing I managed to get the front bolt in, then the rear still hard but at least I had a moving shackle bracket to play with.
Every thing seemed to be a bees nut out, even putting the bracket that holds the shock absorber held by two bolts, you would think having one bolt in the other would just fall in but no still that little bit out.
I'm thinking maybe adding the extra leaf was the culprit...who knows :D :D
Today I will finish everything off with the rattle gun.
Thanks for all those with suggestion's they were a help.
Bernie.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

BernieQ2 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:38 am Hey...some good news. The spring is in some time around midday...wacko.
I did take the wheel off on the other side...a job in it's self :D
And still couldn't move the axle :evil: I drove a star picket into the ground in front of the bus and using a ratchet strap all I achieved with that was bending the picket. I banged it in abought a meter in the ground, and was attached at ground level.
I then took the spring out once more :evil: and put it back attached to the axle as Ron had said, I already had done this before...Anyway, after much cursing I managed to get the front bolt in, then the rear still hard but at least I had a moving shackle bracket to play with.
Every thing seemed to be a bees nut out, even putting the bracket that holds the shock absorber held by two bolts, you would think having one bolt in the other would just fall in but no still that little bit out.
I'm thinking maybe adding the extra leaf was the culprit...who knows :D :D
Today I will finish everything off with the rattle gun.
Thanks for all those with suggestion's they were a help.
Bernie.
Use a tension bar to get the correct tension and stretch on the U bolts or you may be doing it all again at some highly inconvenient place beside a road "out there".

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Don't buy a Mack Bernie, the elephants feet on the rear springs can be a real challenge to get back in on the side of the road with the trailer still fully loaded ;) in other words, it could have been worse :D
Getting the axle at the correct angle for the centre bolt to slide in the hole can be a bridge too far, that is why the spring goes on the axle first, the spring eyes are much easier to get lined up ....... but at least I know where to take the Mazda if I ever need the front springs removed ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO