Fuel stops & caravans

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Fuel stops & caravans

Post by Greynomad »

Well, we're still learning about the differences between motorhoming and caravanning.
Our tug (see? I already speak Caravan :P ) is an Isuzu MU-X, which has a 65 litre fuel tank. As the engine computer tells us, with the van behind we get 6.2~6.5km with every litre of diesel.
That gives us a theoretical maximum range of 422.5km. In an ideal world, maybe. Real world: 375km and the computer starts panicking. That means filling the tank at every major town we pass through, as they're about 300~350km apart.
After Girt's 200 litre tank and 500~650km range (despite getting only 4.5km/litre), this has been a major PITA. :evil:
So on Monday the MU-X is booked to have a fuel tank transplant: 120 litres. :D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
jon_d

Re: Fuel stops & caravans

Post by jon_d »

That's 48.4 kilos of things you can't carry.

Ray, we are the same, in the bus, we get about 400ks per tank. I don't mind stopping.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

jon_d wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:25 pm That's 48.4 kilos of things you can't carry.

Ray, we are the same, in the bus, we get about 400ks per tank. I don't mind stopping.
Ray doesn't want to stop in case he looses Joy
Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Lucky they have two Greyhounds and not two Labradors.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

See, if you'd bought an EV or plug in hybrid, you could have extended the range and recharged while parked up at a nice free camp from the solar ....... you wouldn't complain about the reduced range because a refill of the tank could be free and you could get some additional exercise chasing Joy around for the days the battery is recharging ....... 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
The up-front cost of an EV Ute capable of towing a caravan is about FOUR TIMES what we paid for the MU-X.
Apart from that causing spousal apoplexy, we like to travel, not sit around refuelling/recharging stations. :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

The fuel stops at Wyong (both sides of the Hwy) are closing their Maccas stores and replacing them with Hungry Jacks,

PeterH
PeterH
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Won't make much difference Peter. Big Mac or Whopper, enough grease in either of them to give you a hearty.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Maccas lease has expired, Ampol is updating the servos installing facilities for electric cars to recharge, changing to Hungry Jacks & some other eateries/ restaurant, Maccas are opening up further north along the M1 motorway at Cooranbong.
Shirley & Bruce.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Thanks for that enlightenment Shirley and Peter.
Will be interesting to watch how that pans out. School holidays, the twin servos Maccas are always crammed to the gills, only available parking is out the back with the big boys. ;) :o
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life