Grid power charges

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Grid power charges

Post by T1 Terry »

Just paid the recent power bill with Origin. It went up 3 times in 3 mths, two lots of 30 days and the last 32 days. Started at 35.039 c/kwh peak, then went to 36.813 c/kwh peak for the next 30 days, now 46.838 c/kwh peak :shock: Just to be connected went from 75.16 c/day to 78.966 c/day 30 days later and now 89.18 c/day for the last 32 days :o
The priorities will change this weekend to finishing the off grid and telling them where to stick their power cables, $325.50 a yr just to have the power on, that alone will buy over 800w of second hand Tindo panels each yr. Already have the inverter and batteries and solar controller along with 6kw of solar. The savings might only be $2,700 or so a yr, but better in my pocket than their pockets :twisted:

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt near as much if it was coming out of Margaret's income rather than mine ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Re: Grid power charges

Post by Busman »

Promted me to look at ours. 30 .2 flat rate from ergon, no other competition. $37.35 Access fee for 31 days so $439 just to have access.

10 Kw 3 phase system not grid connected going in sometime in next few weeks, just have to get knee good enough to finish stands for switchbioard and battery (20 Kw) Will condiser down the track if grid connecting is worth it to cover access fees and makybe make something, 13 cent per Kwh paid here at the moment and rising.

Saw an interview from an ex electrical guru who was pretty clear that prices will rise for the next 10 years to pay for a new grid.
T1, I did try Tindo for some SH panels a while ago but none available.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Busman

Post by Busman »

I will be watching with interest what the reaction is once you tell them to stick the poles up their rear, I am not aware of this happening so far, but that does not mean it has not happened. I wonder if their is a constitutional angle to this as well ?
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

In SA there is no law saying you MUST have a connection Bill. On the other hand there is for a "water" connection IF you are in an area (town?) that has a sewage connection.
For electricity .......... if you are in a rental or a building with a few owners such as Strata or a block of flats, then the connection is up to the person occupying the unit. When I sold my house I had the meter read & the power disconnected.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Busman

Post by Busman »

Bruce, trying to find if the situation in Qld is the same or not but have been unable to confirm either way at this stage.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Hmmm, maybe not so easy.............
The below copied from one of the solar websites :

But whatever name they go by, they are the fixed, daily charges we have to pay for our grid connection, whether we use any grid electricity or not.

You can turn your power off at the mains and go on a holiday, or if you are in a contemplative mood just sit in the dark. But you will still have to pay your daily supply charge.

Here in South Australia I pay 63.8 cents a day, or $233 a year. While that is a fairly typical amount, there are still a lot of people who have to pay considerably more. For example, in Queensland my parents pay $1.17 a day or $429 a year, and apparently there are some households in Australia that pay over $550 a year in supply charges. But no matter how high or even how low they are, supply charges need to go, and I will give you five reasons why.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Below is a copy of our August bill 92 days. However, we do get quite a discount on the actual usage charges and we will no longer getting a Dedicated Circuit charge since installing the Heat Pump hot water system which operates via the solar system.

17/05/2023 - 31/07/2023 - 76 Days
* Flexi Saver Peak Consumption ( 3.73946 kWh/day)^ 284.199 kWh $0.4147110 per kWh $117.87
* Flexi Saver Dedicated Circuit Consumption ( 6.22372 kWh/day)^ 473.003 kWh $0.1852180 per kWh $87.60
* Flexi Saver Supply Charge 76 days $1.041150 per day $79.12

01/08/2023 - 16/08/2023 - 16 Days
* Flexi Saver Peak Consumption ( 4.62600 kWh/day)^ 74.016 kWh $0.4655640 per kWh $34.46
* Flexi Saver Dedicated Circuit Consumption ( 1.20131 kWh/day)^ 19.221 kWh $0.2405920 per kWh $4.62
* Flexi Saver Supply Charge 16 days $1.116500 per day $17.86

Solar Export
Retailer Solar Buy Back Rate ( 14.13776 kWh/day)^ -1,300.674 kWh $0.076 per kWh $98.85 CR

George
Last edited by Newcastle George on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Busman wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:36 am Hmmm, maybe not so easy.............

But whatever name they go by, they are the fixed, daily charges we have to pay for our grid connection, whether we use any grid electricity or not.
Bill if you stay connected but don't use it then of course you pay the connection fee. (day rate)
But you can CANCEL your connection & pay nothing. That means you don't have any fall back but if you have a backup genny that's not a problem.
Many houseboats have a genny hooked up to auto start & switch off at certain set points.
Lovely when it's right next to you at 3AM! Sounds like a freight train..............
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:36 am Hmmm, maybe not so easy.............

You can turn your power off at the mains and go on a holiday, or if you are in a contemplative mood just sit in the dark. But you will still have to pay your daily supply charge.

Here in South Australia I pay 63.8 cents a day, or $233 a year. While that is a fairly typical amount, there are still a lot of people who have to pay considerably more. For example, in Queensland my parents pay $1.17 a day or $429 a year, and apparently there are some households in Australia that pay over $550 a year in supply charges. But no matter how high or even how low they are, supply charges need to go, and I will give you five reasons why.
As Bruce said, the govt can force the land owner to pay water rates just because the pipe passes the property, no matter if you are connected or not, then a separate charge for the water used. The same goes for sewerage, but they don't monitor what goes down the pipe :lol:
Once parts of the electrical supply network were privatised, it became illegal to stop anyone from generating power for their own use, nor could they force a charge just because the wires and poles go past the property. If the supply from the grid is disconnected by either the supply side fuses being removed, or the wires themselves being removed to the property, no supply electricity charges can be forced on the property owner to pay ...... ultimately, if the property is rented but the tenants do not pay the electricity bill, the property owner has to pay it ..... they are the ones who are actually responsible for the grid being connected to the house ......
Tell the electricity supplier you want the power disconnected at a certain date and will not be held responsible for any further charges ... and you can bet they will be out there faster than they are for a supply problem, to turn the power off :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
wayno

Post by wayno »

At the end of the day, you get what you vote for.
I am looking forward to the day when their power is browned out due lack of supply and affects our greens.
Only then will these Green beholding people see some sense.
Victoria is already a basket case and the rest will follow if we race down this path.
We all fear death, but where we are heading, I am starting to look forward to it.

Wayno :(
Enjoying living in Central Victoria.

As far as away from dirty Dan as possible. ;)