Why is buying a motorhome so stressful?

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Dot

Re: Why is buying a motorhome so stressful?

Post by Dot »

Did I read right in your post Terry that terrible word GENERATOR? OMG I am in shock. Could you have gone to Nhill in your car and stayed in a cabin or with your friends? a shame to miss them. The weather was better today for working outside anyway/
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

:lol: I put generator in italics just for you Dottie :lol: The generator was part of the motorhome when we bought it and has a power point in the slide-out bin the generator is mounted. It was easier to wire the inverter to that power point than the one on the other side of the motorhome, and gives us the option on plugging shore power to that point and running it through the inverter if the Victron "power assist" is required, or to the shore power connection on the other side and switching from generator/inverter supply to mains supply in the motorhome via the 3 way switch.

There is insufficient solar on the motorhome roof at the moment, so the generator might be a necessary evil until I can finish the roof repairs, remove the rooftop air con and fit a fan vent in its place, and change the lids or complete vents on the toilet and bathroom. Then, I'll have a flatish area to mount the solar as a summer roof, then the generator can be relocated to the house as an emergency supply when the power fails ...

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

rv.jpg
T1's next tinkering toy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

He wuld like that one lot's to repair!
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Dot

Post by Dot »

Peter and Sandra wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:57 am He wuld like that one lot's to repair!
More like pull apart :lol: :twisted:
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

A few shots of the wiring birdsnest I discovered inside:
Who wires these things 2.jpg
There are wires going to an outside light and switch as well as the wires going down to the tank sensor and water pump switch, all 12v, threated through the 240v stuff.
Found the wiring to the light above the sink, the light above the pull out table and the fan in the shower, all carefully twisted together behind the cupboard liner ... somehow, this cable connects to a cable hanging out in the battery compartment, still 7 light circuits, the toilet fan as well as the rangehood to find .....
Who wires these things 5.jpg
These are the waterpump and tank monitoring wires

T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Ummmm well glad you know what is what :? Could you not use the GENNY to run the air con while it is hot for you to work, or are those wires mixed up as well? What is happening with the roof (leak)? What is the loo vent like?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:19 pm Ummmm well glad you know what is what :? Could you not use the GENNY to run the air con while it is hot for you to work, or are those wires mixed up as well? What is happening with the roof (leak)? What is the loo vent like?
The generator wiring is part of the wiring harness and goes to a 3 way switch so mains/off/generator can be selected as the supply. The inverter is now linked into the generator supply cable, so the generator goes into the inverter, then back out to the 3 way switch, so bother the 240vac and battery power would need to be connected to get power from the generator through to the air conditioner ... with all the wiring exposed, it would be too dangerous ... and that would make me sweat big time anyway :lol:

T1 Terry
Dot

Post by Dot »

Sounds like a total cock up to me :roll:
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:40 pm Sounds like a total cock up to me :roll:
As Pauline would say "please explain?"

T1 Terry