New potential scam or virus

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

New potential scam or virus

Post by T1 Terry »

What ever you do, do not click on any link in this post

A word of warning of an impending scam:

Received the email this morning from Australia Post <groupesen@auspost-groups.theshoppe.com>

Dear Customer,

We inform you that your shipment No. AU104349304401 is still awaiting instructions from you.
You have to pay the additional shipping fees to ship your parcel as soon as possible.

Ship Now

Sincerely,
Thank you for your confidence.

Looks like the real deal, but a Google search says the Australia Post email address is
Australia Post <group@auspost-groups.theshoppe.com>

This is what Google Search has to say

Did you mean: Australia Post <group@auspost-groups.theshoppe.com>

No results containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - Australia Post <groupesen@auspost-groups.theshoppe.com> - did not match any documents.

They are getting very clever, keep your eyes open regarding any links in an email, hovering over the link icon reveals this, https : // scnv . io / hiAJ (I have deliberately added spaces in the link to make it inoperable)
Virustotal has only 4 out of 91 sites mark this as malware .... so it is very new

Be on the lookout for this and other look-alike emails ....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Shirley

Re: New potential scam or virus

Post by Shirley »

Terry I get those emails regularly & sometimes I haven’t even ordered anything to be coming :oops:
Shirley & Bruce.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I have had a couple recently as a text message. The usual giveaway is the nonsensical email address.
The one that T1 highlights in this post is very clever. Looks real enough to click on. Especially if you are waiting for something that you know is coming by Auspost.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

By simply adding the "esen" on the end of "group", makes it look the same yet is a completely different email address. The format is good along with the grammar, so none of the usual red flags

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Got one of these today= pressed delete and block #
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Aus post does not send sh it like that.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Have never got any of these things and always make sure the sender has paid the postage, which if necessary get them to put on the price. In fact never get any form of scam through my computers or personal ph number, don't have any online accounts, social media or personal information in my computers. Have 2 ph numbers, one for business gigging and personal one which is only known by a couple of people. So anything coming to my personal number and a few do that I know is not someone I know, gets deleted and on my business ph, never answer numbers don't know, if it;s important they will send a txt and don't have any personal info on my ph at all, not even my name.

My online buying is done through a separate card which never has any more in it than is required for what I'm currently purchasing. When you add if you knew my name, you'd never find me on the net, aliases is what use for everything on line and using linux means they can't hack scam or take over my computer, never see an advert either, except on the sites I visit and use aliases for purchases as well, it's the address which is important not the name. If anyone queries the name, just tell them the person is staying with us for a couple of weeks, our local Aus post is used to receiving goods for people at my address and have told them why and they are happy with that.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Just now, a text message

"sorry, your toll has not been paid, and there will be a penalty interest for late payment https;//link.eastlink/city/au"

We never go near the city toll roads, so have no problem deleting this. Never click on any link is my motto. Phone the person or company involved to check the validity of the text.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

We both receive frequent calls from unknown numbers sourced "Australia".
We just let them ring out — usually only three rings, indicating a computer-generated call — and delete the 'missed call' notification.
If it's genuine (and one or two have been) the person will leave a voice message.

I've also had a number of texts saying there's a problem with my delivery and asking me to click a link to confirm my address details.
These usually come when I don't have anything on order. Also the link address is usually something weird like 'checkaddress@australiapost.hw' which I know is a fake. :roll:

I've also had the 'Toll fee overdue' text threatening dire consequences for my firstborn unless I click a link to pay immediately. We're 350km from the nearest toll road, and I have a Linkt dongle which has a minimal balance as we try to avoid toll roads where possible.

I guess this is the price we pay for modern communications technology.

Beware of the sharks. :?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields