What's new in the EV market for this year

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
supersparky

Re: What's new in the EV market for this year

Post by supersparky »

I'm not opposed to the uptake of new technology. As an electrician, there is something new every day. And there is certainly arguments of the pros and cons of electric vehicles. It just depends if you happen to watch the ABC or Skychannel. Our current gubment seems to have an agenda that is based on dedicated policy for the roll-out of EV's, and the removal of ICE's, while I'm not sure if the opposition have a policy about anything. The opposition leader seems to be using his henchman to convey 'whatever' message across to the public at the moment.
I just hope that the right decisions are being made, for thebetterment of the future of this big rock that we all live on.
I will look forward to the plan for how the people that live in remote communities will adapt to the uptake of EV's, after all, most of them are currently powered by diesel powered gensets.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

at a guess, depending on proximity to a gas pipeline, either gas fired turbines or fuel cells, otherwise, ammonia shipments to deliver hydrogen for fuel cells, or to power gas turbines, or modified diesel engines https://www.omnitekcorp.com/altfuel.htm or even solar/wind/battery/electrolysis/hydrogen to green methane https://www.gasum.com/en/news-and-custo ... 0transport.
so it can be stored when there is a surplus renewable energy to be used during poor renewable periods, makes more sense than stored hydro .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

The mention of gas turbines prompted a memory. Victoria used to have a gas powered power station at Newport, just near Melbourne. But the gubmint closed it down years ago, for what reason i cant remember. Last year lpPremier Dan decreed that no new houses are allowed to have gas hot water installed. It makes you wonder about what they know about the limit of our gas reserves. It was supposed to almost limitless, after all boat loads of natural gas has been shipped off overseas for more years than I care to remember.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
Busman

Post by Busman »

My concern is the insane Chris Bowen and what he is going to saddle future generations with. This guy simply does not have zeal, he is off in a different universe to the rest of us. When you start guaranteeing private capital a return if they build some renewables you are tying a lead weight around future generations. And even then private capital investment is running a mile, they are smart enough to see these crazy targets cannot ever be met. Sure, we can do all the good shit for the climate, as if the emissions from our drop in the ocean population are going to cure anything, but let's do it at a calm, reasoned pace, otherwise we will end up with a big mess and a lot of offside people you will never get back on side.

And don't even get me started on the leader of the greens using a 15K private jet to go from Canberra to Brisbane, if they were so concerned about the climate should he not have travelled in a commercial jet, or better still on a push bike ? Bloody hypocrites.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:13 pm My concern is the insane Chris Bowen and what he is going to saddle future generations with. This guy simply does not have zeal, he is off in a different universe to the rest of us. When you start guaranteeing private capital a return if they build some renewables you are tying a lead weight around future generations. And even then private capital investment is running a mile, they are smart enough to see these crazy targets cannot ever be met. Sure, we can do all the good shit for the climate, as if the emissions from our drop in the ocean population are going to cure anything, but let's do it at a calm, reasoned pace, otherwise we will end up with a big mess and a lot of offside people you will never get back on side.

And don't even get me started on the leader of the greens using a 15K private jet to go from Canberra to Brisbane, if they were so concerned about the climate should he not have travelled in a commercial jet, or better still on a push bike ? Bloody hypocrites.
I reckon they should all follow John Denver's example, so emissions conscious he didn't put fuel in his plane ......
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Busman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:13 pm My concern is the insane Chris Bowen and what he is going to saddle future generations with. This guy simply does not have zeal, he is off in a different universe to the rest of us. When you start guaranteeing private capital a return if they build some renewables you are tying a lead weight around future generations. ...............
I had great hopes for Chris Bowen a few years ago, but he showed his true colours and created havoc with the oldies.

And as for the leader of the Greens, rushes back to Brissy to support another wannabe Lord Mayor in today's local council election. It's kind of a pity that he missed out on becoming Lord Mayor. He will run for state politics next, and probably get in then. God help us all then.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

supersparky wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:11 pm I'm not opposed to the uptake of new technology. As an electrician, there is something new every day. And there is certainly arguments of the pros and cons of electric vehicles. It just depends if you happen to watch the ABC or Skychannel. Our current gubment seems to have an agenda that is based on dedicated policy for the roll-out of EV's, and the removal of ICE's, while I'm not sure if the opposition have a policy about anything. The opposition leader seems to be using his henchman to convey 'whatever' message across to the public at the moment.
I just hope that the right decisions are being made, for thebetterment of the future of this big rock that we all live on.
I will look forward to the plan for how the people that live in remote communities will adapt to the uptake of EV's, after all, most of them are currently powered by diesel powered gensets.
Don't understand how anyone can vote for any political party, considering none of them are honest, have any workable or viable polices for the future we face and are doing everything the opposite to what is required. We have an election next weekend and yet there is not one policy from any party that will address the future problems we face in Tas, just throw money at things and hope that will do it and in today's world, it makes things worse.

The big problem with the transition to EV's is, the majority of people will never be able tor afford one and yet they are neglecting the one approach which could help solve the problem, converting ICE vehicles to EV. This would promote new industry, small business enterprises, introducing real competition and drive prices downward, as well as make us more self sufficient. Now we get just about all our EV's from china, which is fast becoming the biggest future threat to Aus and we are feeding china with all the resources they need to built their war machine. How anyone can't see the insanity in that approach is beyond me.

The answer to remote communities power requirements is very simple, the money they spend on diesel each year would be enough to put solar panels and batteries on every home and building, with enough left over for a separate backup battery. There's a never ending supply of sun in those areas with very few cloudy days and you could add local solar farms to power ev's, but without Aus based industry, we just keep sending our money over seas instead of keeping it here and that's the insanity of the globalisation ideology.

What would also help is building remote homes and building out of local materials, like rammed earth, stone and earthen roofs, or even underground homes and buildings. This would drop the need for power hungry A/C and if they allowed the people to design and build theri own homes, give them pride in their lives, instead of being dumped in sauna tin shacks useless for the environmental needs. Sadly the current approach is give money to big companies to provide junk food and tin can buildings powered by polluting diesel generators which destroy the ambience of the area with their never ending noise and waste.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

NP, we have sold off most of our manufacturing facilities to overseas interests over the past 20 years or so. And we have been selling our resources to many foreign countries, since settlement began.
As far as voting for political parties goes, I believe that an informal vote is the same as a vote for the winning party. I use my vote, to support whoever I think can do the most good for the populace, at whatever level of government it is.
It would be nice to think that someone would support the conversion of ICE's to EV's, but the gubment can't make any money out of that. They make money out of new vehicles sales, so that is their point of focus.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The govt makes better money from EV conversions than it does from new car sales. They get the GST from all the parts that go into the conversion, all the parts removed are generally resold, the labour all attracts GST, the engineering reports attract GST, as does the final sign off by the relevant state rego dept and then the vehicle that may have gone to scrap, returns to the rego and insurance revenue collecting pool along with the GST.

A new car gets a tax rebate and only one lot of GST, no labour building it to milk more GST from the process. The move to online selling new EVs by the manufacturer also reduces the wages taxes and up selling items that also attract GST.

Converting a vehicle to electric is more expensive than buying an import, it is the want to save a classic car that gets the hand in the pocket to spend up big.
Jap imports of used vehicles, particularly EVs, is a path to getting a cheaper vehicle. Pushing govt depts to go EV also provides a good local supply when they come out of lease as well as companies moving to EVs to "green" up their image, be as cynical as you like, it gets EVs in the market place at a better price point after the lease is up and increases the sales volume and that improves the new vehicle choice availability and price.

Tindo make solar panels at better than the quality of imports, and they are made in an Adelaide suburb. Retail price is close on $1/watt with 20% efficiency and a 10 yr warranty from a manufacturer who is right here in Australia, but how many people even know that or stipulate that Tindo panels are used on the solar install?

Some of the best EV chargers available world wide are made in a Brisbane suburb, Tritium, one of the best EV charging station networks is Australian owned and the major roadside motoring assistance mobs in each state are rolling out a great recharging network, but do they get any praise?

The major problem Australian's face is the negative attitude regarding EV's that is generated by those with big $$ vested interests in selling fossil fuels ... they even started up their own news service to push their profit making agenda after the news services they already controlled like puppets, pushed back against some of the stories they wanted to make headline news .... something about facts seemed to be getting in the way. I'm guessing you've seen the circulation push for a "NEWS" service called "The Nightly" it's free for a reason, the major investors have full control of what is being put forward as fact .....

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I didn't know that any solar panels were still made in Aust. Never heard of Tindo before. But I did know about the charging stations. The mob that I've been doing a bit of work for recently did a big install contract across the local council network a couple of years ago. Big business doesn't want EV"s, same as they want to hang on to oil and coal.
The muppets that run the coal industry up here have an ad on TV that directly criticises the state govt for upping the coal royalties. Dunno what all the coal miners will do for work though if they do ever shut down coalmining.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine