What's new in the EV market for this year

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: What's new in the EV market for this year

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:21 pm I didn't know that any solar panels were still made in Aust. Never heard of Tindo before. But I did know about the charging stations. The mob that I've been doing a bit of work for recently did a big install contract across the local council network a couple of years ago. Big business doesn't want EV"s, same as they want to hang on to oil and coal.
The muppets that run the coal industry up here have an ad on TV that directly criticises the state govt for upping the coal royalties. Dunno what all the coal miners will do for work though if they do ever shut down coalmining.
It depends what sort of coal they are mining. If it's metallurgical coal or anthracite which is the oldest coal, there jobs are safe, if it's thermal coal or lignite, if they still have a job now I'd be surprised.
They will eventually phase out coking coal in iron and steel production, but a lot more hydrogen will need to come on line before that happens ... by then, those still in the coal mining game will transition to hydrogen production.
The majority of hydrogen was produced by steam stripping the carbon from natural gas (methane) but that doesn't help with the carbon reduction targets and potential problems with added methane from leaks makes that method of hydrogen production no longer viable.
Renewable energy to split water, add the carbon to make green methane, then capture the carbon in the steel or recycle it to convert more hydrogen to green methane, and steel production gets green washed :roll: :lol: Lots of jobs available now and in the future in the greater hydrogen production industry. By using salt laden water that is useless for agriculture or drinking, the harvested salts have a value path of their own, maybe even leading to sodium battery manufacture in Australia ... we have all the raw materials and renewable energy to do it at a better price than anyone else .... will we see it in our life time ... in the words of that great Aussie Darryl Kerrigan "tell him he's dreaming" :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

deleted content!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

A few things will need to change before any of that happens Terry. We will have to wait and see what happens up here, after our Qld state elections later in the year.
Those that reckon they know, reckon that our State level Labour party is on the nose. Quite a few of the long standing members up here have either already chucked it in, or have signalled their intention not to seek re-election.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

EV.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Watched a Netflix movie last night, doomsaday sort of stuff, hundreds of identical Teslas smashing into each other, with the delectable Julia Roberts trying to dodge them all.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:27 amEV.jpg :lol:
But it wouldn't have been photo worthy if it had been an electric tow truck carrying an internal combustion engine powered truck would it :roll:
It might have been part of a delivery process .... petrol fuelled cars are regularly seen on diesel fuelled car carriers, no photos of petrol fuelled cars needing to be transported by diesel fuelled trucks? ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:23 am Watched a Netflix movie last night, doomsaday sort of stuff, hundreds of identical Teslas smashing into each other, with the delectable Julia Roberts trying to dodge them all.
Ah, yes, the robots taking over shifting from walking on two legs (why two legs and not multiple legs for better stability) to four wheels ..... I think Dr Who had the first dibs on that scenario with the Daleks back in 1963 ..... this version is road rage by artificial intelligence rather than organic intelligence .... but organic intelligence is supposed to remain behind the wheel and have the ultimate control .......

We already have a similar problem, the lane correct function taking over unexpectedly when the vehicle crosses the centre line on a narrow road with no side line markings, the lane assist sees the centre line as the left hand lane marker line and changes from turning left hard to get around the corner (that was being negotiated too fast) and goes straight into a white post on the other side of the road.
I recently bought an MG4 from Pickles salvage with a whole 268km on the clock, right hand front corner crumpled, air bags deployed, auto seat belt tensioners deployed and seatbelts locked, then the whole system shut down because an impact had been detected, then a warning beep and "evacuate vehicle immediately" flashing on the display ..... the vehicle is "bricked" in an ultra safe mode from that point on ... why doesn't that happen with ICE powered vehicles?

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Terry, I'm pretty sure that shutdown thing happens to all late model cars. If the airbags are deployed I think there is a defined procedure to re-iniate the system.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 pm Terry, I'm pretty sure that shutdown thing happens to all late model cars. If the airbags are deployed I think there is a defined procedure to re-iniate the system.
In the MG4, it requires the centre consul and floor coverings to be removed to access the "crash module" and total replacement because it can not be reset. The seatbelts and dash must be replaced along with the pad in the steering wheel, before the crash module is replaced ... otherwise that modules will trigger and require yet another replacement unit :roll: The sensors are in the driver and passenger seats and the crash module double checks with the stability module to it also registered the high G forces, then triggers to required air bags and isolates the main traction battery. An added feature, there is yet another module to supply enough power to unlock the doors to allow the escape, even if the crash was enough to blow the 12v battery fuse, no steering assist but the seat belts can be released and the doors opened, but that's it, nothing else is powered from that module n... sometimes the Chinese come up with some remarkable ideas .... only to have the whole lot fall over, if the crash module is unplugged, all is good with the world and everything works again :o :lol: :roll:

T1 Terry
Busman

Post by Busman »

Im confused, is all that typing about how the MG is screwed, but the last line says just unplug and all is good again.
Please explain....................
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !