Cooking discovery

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Cooking discovery

Post by Greynomad »

Just discovered a great addition to roast potatoes:
Duck Fat!!

And that’s not a Spoonerism! 😁)

Using duck fat in place of veggie oil gives roast spuds — any veggies for that matter — a much better taste.

Idea came from a recipe we tried for something totally unrelated... SWMBO was impressed by the improvement over her usual recipe, so thought the duck fat could improve other dishes. She was right!!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Cooking discovery

Post by T1 Terry »

If you cut off the bacon rinds and save them up in the freezer, put them in the baking pan and cook them up till crisp, remove them from the pan and add the veggies and spoon the bacon fat over them ..... the taste is quite different to using lard or cooking spray and makes crispy skinned veggies with all the moisture held inside, the crispy bacon bit as a great treat before dinner while enjoying a few cool drinks

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

I shall suggest that to SWMBO. 😀

EDIT:
SWMBO’s response:
“Doesn’t Margaret make soup?”
Last edited by Greynomad on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Chicken wings cut up into mini drumsticks and mini thighs with the wing tip in the bacon fat first cook up really nicely. The wing tips cook up until the bone becomes powered and you can hold them by the knuckle joint and eat the lot. The skin on the mini chicken bits crisps up all yummy as well, sprinkle seseme seeds over the raw wings adds a very nice flavour as well .... bu be real careful using poppy seeds, even if they do add a great taste, they will put you over the limit if you get pulled over for a drug driving test .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO