Which one Diesel heater

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Which one Diesel heater

Post by T1 Terry »

We made the pump all but silent by mounting the rubber case it is supplied with to an L shaped piece of metal around 3mm thick. The other end of the L bracket mounted to the chassis so there was no drumming effect. Because there are a number of different materials and thicknesses involved, the harmonics are different for each type/thickness so the sound does not travel from the pump to the body. Also, make a loop of the inlet and outlet pipes for the pump, this will stop noise transmitting along the fuel line.
I would recommend using the separate tank rather than pulling fuel from the main tank. This is because the diesel heater is not designed to run on the diesel fuel used in Australia, it is designed to run on European winter fuel, anywhere up to 50% kero. If you add 1 ltr of kero to the 9 ltrs of diesel to fill the tank, the heater will run much cleaner and not have the issues with failed start up and fouled glow plug. When you put the heater into storage mode for the summer, run the diesel out of the tank and add a few ltrs of kero, then run the heater for an hr or so to clear all the diesel out of the lines and clean the inside of the furnace chamber.
If oil heater fuel was still available, that would also be suitable for running the heater, but I doubt it would be available these days in most areas.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Keith Morris wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:50 am
Newcastle George wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:43 am Dot, order the one that Jim mentioned, it"s only on special at $180 for 2 more days.

George
"tanks" here---Dot,
Order 2 at that price; one for the front area and one for the bedroom area.
Why not order 3 and have one as a spare.
I am thinking of getting one to heat the lounge room of the house. Consider the cost of electricity with running the reverse cycle aircon, against the cost of diesel.
It will operate on a small 7A/H, 12 volt battery.
Has any other forum member set up a 12 volt diesel heater for their house/room heating
Keith
If you contact Bob (Bob n Bev) in Mildura, he has set one up to heat their flat and it works great. He will also give you a few tips about what sort of pipe not to make the hot air outlet pipes from :lol:
Brian (Homeless) also has one in his houseboat

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

another pump silencing help is to loop both the inlet and outlet hoses/tubes at the pump.
This dissapates the pulses instead of sending them through the liquid and plastic
Dot

Post by Dot »

Tht one on ebay that Jim has recommended is rather heavy on fuel ie .64 lits pr hr isn't it??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Hi Dot,

Some good info here:
https://www.vvkb.com/parking-heaters-buying-guide/

About 1/3 of the way down there are two tables showing fuel consumption at various heating levels.

VVKB is an expensive Chinese model; I bought a VVKBne prior to all the cheapies coming on the market.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Dot wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:48 pm Tht one on ebay that Jim has recommended is rather heavy on fuel ie .64 lits pr hr isn't it??
My neighbour is away in his caravan as we speak. Should be back in a couple of days. He's had the heater on every night so soon I'll have some actual consumption figures I hope.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Will be interested thank you cheers
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

The sale for that heater ends in 15 hours! The diesel usage shown is probably when flat out.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
wayneP

Post by wayneP »

I posted a longer version yesterday but its gone :evil:
Short one,
As per Newcastle George!!!
Figures are flat out.
Eberspacher D4: 0.52 l/h (cost $3 grand then 2012) now $2 grand up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Buy 6+ units for the price of the D4. Yes I know you only get what you paid for but, only have to have a unit last 3 years and you are in front ???
Chinese copy : 0.64 l/h(cost $300)
Even though its been over 12 months since I have played with the two heaters, I ran china copy harder (still trying to figure out the settings at the time) because it may have cost me more (yes added Kero, T1 said that years ago! Thank You!!!) but it ran well and I felt at the time hotter than my old D4.
Plus if China copy died or needed a replacement part, its cheaper to just buy another unit!!!!
Hope this helps!
Wayne
Driver/Maintenance Boy :D
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Dot, you had better hurry, normally $305 on special for $180 but only for another 8 Hr 30 min from Victoria

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor