Photo Album upgrade??

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.
BruceS
Site Admin

Photo Album upgrade??

Post by BruceS »

Since I upgraded PHP the photo albums have 'broke'.
Does anyone think I should fix it or just leave it dead?

https://www.ozervnews.com/gallery
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Grandad

Re: Photo Album upgrade??

Post by Grandad »

Bruce, have a read of this regarding your error message.

"Unfortunately, it would seem that PHP on your server is not configured in a way to allow the method to work. It needs to either have allow_url_fopen set or libcurl enabled. If neither of those settings can be made on your server, then you'll have to use the manual method of uploading each of the cpg1.6 files to your server. Follow directions here (except use the 1.6.03 files). You MUST run the update.php file after placing all the files."

It appears it may be a server setting. How much control does your version of C-Panel give you over the server settings. I must admit, it is for this reason I have stuck with Crazy domains for nigh on 15 years now. Their Tech guys....all Aussie....are amazing. Describe the problem. They fix.

Jim

Source: https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/in ... ic=79165.0
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Thankyou for your 'insite' Jim!!
It is an older version of Coppermine & before I spend time updating it to the 'latest/greatest I thought I'd ask if there were any still interested in using it.
Not a lot of responses other than yours so I'll wait a couple of days & see if anyone else joins in.
The cPanel gives me total control of most needed settings.
I've got a conference with some people today to discuss the future of 'things' so after that I'll make some major changes if needed.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Is Coppermine a version of phpBB? I thought it was just the name of the people using it like "grey Nomads' or 'Vintage Vans etc. Its just that the error message was identical to yours.
I have very limited knowledge of phpBB. Used it probably 15 years ago for about a year. Then found a young buck to take it over for me.

I can play with sites but forums scare me. The ramifications of screwing something up are far more difficult to overcome with loss of threads, members details or photo galleries in this case. On a site, you just just restore a whole site with database in 30 minutes and end up back where you started. Worse case scenario.

I can well understand why you'd like someone younger to take over the nuts and bolts. I wish you well.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

phpBB is the Forum software.
Coppermine is a Photo Album software.

Coppermine have written into their code to 'piggyback' off the forum software so that it uses a completely different database but can use / accept the logins and Admin/Moderators that are being used in the forum software.

I won't elaborate more but that is it in a nutshell.
The forum, the photo album & the whole website can be backed up in bits or as a whole..

Looks like I have a successor that will continue to look after the 'backroom'.
More info in due course!!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

dapope

Post by dapope »

I was going to add that the current hosting service you use looks quite restrictive... Someone I know had a bit of a fossick and thought there was better bang for the buck that could get rid of the photo restrictions as well
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

BruceS wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm phpBB is the Forum software.
Coppermine is a Photo Album software.

I won't elaborate more but that is it in a nutshell.
More than enough explanation. Thank you.
Looks like I have a successor that will continue to look after the 'backroom'.
More info in due course!!!
Great news. I'm fast running out of caravan forums that are worth following. Hate to lose this one.

Jim