What does the membership think?

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.

Lock threads that might get heated

Poll ended at Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:16 am

Yes, I don't want any controversy on this forum
6%
No, Some things need to be talked through
18%
Couldn't care less, I just stop reading a thread if I don't like the direction it is heading
67%
Who was supposed to bring the popcorn?
9%

Total votes: 33

Shirley

Re: What does the membership think?

Post by Shirley »

Agree with Lesley, live & let live, we are all entitled to our different opinions & beliefs.
Shirley & Bruce.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Shirley, that says it all. LIVE AND LET LIVE, love it and sorry for shouting, but I got excited to see how sensible that comment is.

We are all entitled to our beliefs and own ideas, but it doesn't hurt to listen to others and respect their right to have different ideas or opinions.

Mods, you all do a great job and do not deserve to be disrespected by any one.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Thanks for that Deborah.😀
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

The vote doesn't reflect the views of the majority.
33 votes.
BernieB got it in one, I belong to an aviation forum...longer than any other forum.
They jump on offenders straight away...NAMING and give them a weeks holiday if they persist they get a months leave, from memory no one has been ejected from that forum...they pull their head in and get on with what they joined the forum for.

I didn't vote.
BernieQ.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BernieQ2 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:39 am The vote doesn't reflect the views of the majority.
33 votes.
BernieB got it in one, I belong to an aviation forum...longer than any other forum.
They jump on offenders straight away...NAMING and give them a weeks holiday if they persist they get a months leave, from memory no one has been ejected from that forum...they pull their head in and get on with what they joined the forum for.

I didn't vote.
BernieQ.
That flies with me... :D

(If you'd said a sailing forum... Brucie2 knows. ;) )
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BernieQ2 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:39 am The vote doesn't reflect the views of the majority.
33 votes.

I didn't vote.
BernieQ.
It does reflect the typical Aussie participation rate though ..... 530 members and 33 voted. From that 33, we have 2 definite no controversy, 6 wanted to tackle the hard questions, 3 found the whole thing entertaining (pass the popcorn) and 22 didn't actually really want to say one way or the other ..... possibly they are interested in the hard question topics until they go bad, then switch off or simply don't view those topics at all ....

I think I have narrowed down the cause of the problem .... communication. Who ever came up with the idea obviously didn't think it through. If we couldn't communicate with each other then we wouldn't know we had opposing views until the rock came down over the head, the spear through body or the bullet through a vital organ. But that would be the end of it, no stories from either side about how it actually happened because there would be no way to pass the story on to anyone.
So, I don't think we can rewrite history and stop communication ever developing, so the next best thing is to be very careful about just what we are communicating.
If it is a reply in the heat of battle, type out the post by all means, but put it into a Word document so you don't lose it and so there is a copy ..... then have a break and maybe read something else or have a cup of coffee or what-ever, then reread what you were going to post and try to view it as others would see it ..... at least the wording might be better but more than likely, if it was typed out in the heat of the moment, a break and then a re-read might result in a rewrite or delete completely .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

That's why if a post has crossed a line and been deleted, the postee needs a timeout at the same time.
Guaranteed a deleted post will not calm the postee down one little bit, so any further posts in the short term will only be worse.

It would then give the moderator time to contact the person concerned and point out what was actually wrong and give some ideas of how to correct it. If the response is hostile then perhaps a longer time out might be appropriate.

Just my 2c's again.

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Let me see if I can summarise my take on this whole issue.

I came here this morning and first up in my list of “Unread Posts” are comments on another thread about another current affair topic.
Fair enough, let’s have a squiz.

Some bloke sprouting utter nonsense about some way out theory of how things should be.
Fair enough. I’ve read his views before, I’ll read them again……..and ignore them.
Now somebody else is having a go at answering the first fellow.
Well. What do you know? He’s coming back with much the same arguments I would have put up if I could be bothered replying.
Is the first guy going to listen? Nup. Just more of the same.

Oh look, there’s a thread about Solar Panels.
I’ll go have a look. Might learn something if I’m not careful.

Once I’ve read that, (didn’t learn anything new this time……bugger! Next time.)
That’s alright, there are new posts about Aging. That might be good.

But was there anything there today, or at any time in the past that deserves this long drawn out and obviously agonizing choices for the admin?
Hell no.
Ban somebody? Or “Give them a holiday?” Lock a thread?
Why?
Don’t like the topic? Don’t read it?
Think somebody is posting rubbish? Argue back, if you wish. Or ignore him.
Is somebody getting insulting to somebody else?

Yeah ok……MAYBE…….if it goes on………..one of the Mods might care to PM the person. “Hey mate. Pull your head in a bit will ya?”

But one thing I can guarantee……eventually it will all die down and everything will be forgotten.
Life is too short.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Agree " life is definitely to short " & most of us want to stay a little longer :lol: :lol: happily coasting along. :D
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Life is too short.
well that's a defeatist attitude ... I plan to live for ever, I have enough projects to keep me going for at least that long :lol: Been a few bumps in the road, but so far so good ;) 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO