Money and Self-isolation

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Money and Self-isolation

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:29 pm Our friend that works at the hosp can get into the shops early for her supplies said she watched a woman load her trolley up with bog paper and the check out person said nothing to her even though the sign said limit of two. She asked the check out person said O to the woman, the answer was "doesn't worry me" Good onyu Drakes . Bring back the stamp book rations then maybe everyone can get things they need.
I think the coupon thing is coming, but more like an E-Card where you have to scan with each purchase to stop hording. With the world's economy becoming dependant on the interweb, it wouldn't be down for very long if they did manage to crash it. It would be of no benefit to anyone to crash the worlds financial transaction system, it would cut off their own cash flow as well so a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I doubt the taxi industry will ever recover, the apps that can move people and/or food via independent carriers will gain too much strength to allow the taxi industry to break back into the market.
The major shopping centres are going to do it tough after people get the feel for buying everything on line and start to gain some trust in the process.
China will be the big loser, no more dependence of them to supply everything cheaper than it can be produced locally because that "look after your own backyard" will become more important than the cheapest possible price.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Don't take this the wrong way, just making sure that people don't perpetuate common errors.
... where you have to scan with each purchase to stop hording. With the world's economy becoming dependant on the interweb, it wouldn't be down for very long ...
1. Correct spelling is 'hoarding'.
2. 'dependant' is a person reliant on another; 'dependent' is the condition of being reliant on another.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Firstly Ray, good to see that the brain isn't broken. :lol: :lol:

My son has four sons a family of six, his wife always buys a huge amount of provisions, it would be difficult to introduce a system restrictioning purchasing of quantities & there would be many more people buying for more than six.
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:55 am T1,
Don't take this the wrong way, just making sure that people don't perpetuate common errors.
... where you have to scan with each purchase to stop hording. With the world's economy becoming dependant on the interweb, it wouldn't be down for very long ...
1. Correct spelling is 'hoarding'.
2. 'dependant' is a person reliant on another; 'dependent' is the condition of being reliant on another.
I'll blame "Spell Checker for the dependant bit, Id did type it as dependent but spell checker changed it so I thought I must have got it wrong :lol: No excuse for the "Hording" one, that was all mine I think :oops:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:36 pm Firstly Ray, good to see that the brain isn't broken. :lol: :lol:

My son has four sons a family of six, his wife always buys a huge amount of provisions, it would be difficult to introduce a system restrictioning purchasing of quantities & there would be many more people buying for more than six.
I think they would base it on the Medicare card, where the number of individuals in a household is stamped into the card.

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
The ‘Medicare family size’ model wouldn’t work for families on remote stations, where the supermarket may be a drive of 100km or more away.
They would be shopping once a month, buying larger quantities of everything.
Current product limits are already penalising families.
You don’t even have to be remote to feel them.
SWMBO was in local (Corowa) Woolworths recently. No multigrain bread. Asked checkout girl if they had stocks out back.
Girl responded, “No, but if you pop back this afternoon we may have some.”
‘Popping back’ would require a 30km round trip... not viable for one loaf.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Ray, we were in a Coles shop recently where I asked at the "bakery" for an unsliced loaf. I could see a few loaves on a bench.The answer was "sorry, can't sell them. They are for tomorrow and haven't thawed yet" . So not only do they not bake the bread, but it isn't even freshly made. We didn't return the next day either as we were on our way home from our latest very long trip...you know the 6 month trip that lasted all of 2 weeks. grrr
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 pm
The ‘Medicare family size’ model wouldn’t work for families on remote stations, where the supermarket may be a drive of 100km or more away.
The people who own the place we are caretaking live a 6 hour drive from the nearest shopping centre. They need to do *big* shops to get them through wet seasons when being flooded in for months is not unusual. Recently they had to muster cattle at short notice (space available on a ship at Townsville). This meant having to feed a mustering crew of 20 over a number of days. Having driven 6 hours to get supplies for this they were restricted to 2 loaves of bread etc, same as anyone who lives close to a supermarket. They returned to the station almost empty handed, & managed by using stock from their wet season stock. Seems there was no way to obtain an exemption.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 pm T1,
They would be shopping once a month, buying larger quantities of everything.
Current product limits are already penalising families.
You don’t even have to be remote to feel them.
SWMBO was in local (Corowa) Woolworths recently. No multigrain bread. Asked checkout girl if they had stocks out back.
Girl responded, “No, but if you pop back this afternoon we may have some.”
‘Popping back’ would require a 30km round trip... not viable for one loaf.
I'm guessing most outback stations will have to ring/email their bulk suppliers to organise the purchase pick up away from a supermarket where the general public shop.
As for bread, why wouldn't they bake it fresh at the station? One of the first things to run out here in Mannum was bread mix to go in the bread makers, seems many can't remember how to actually look up a recipe for basic bread and make that .... I'm guessing the world will relearn all the stuff it forgot once convenience stores opened. Break out the old Vacola bottling kit and buy stuff direct from the farms like in the old days, or even grow it yourself. With the advantages of the modern deep freeze, maybe flash cooling with liquid nitrogen could be a whole new enterprise where a travelling snap freeze unit comes around and snap freezes your goodies in a neighbourhood group and you all share out the costs and the goods so everyone benefits. The old coop revisited .....

T1 Terry
grizzzman

Post by grizzzman »

Is "bog" paper toilet paper? Sure is a weird thing to hoard (happened here bigtime)
2019 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S Trailer
640 Watts solar ElectroDacus SBMS0 3 DSSR20 (TS60 backup)
150 AH Lifepo4 3P4S 208AH CG2 hybrid system
Boondocking is my game
"If you are not learning, you are dying"