gear box differences

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Dot

gear box differences

Post by Dot »

What pray tell is the difference between an automatic and a constant variable gear box??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Re: gear box differences

Post by jon_d »

Auto has gears that it shifts though.

CVT has sort of two cones that rub against each other. The cones adjust position to get the best revs.

That's the simple explanation, the mechanics of it are a bit different.
Last edited by jon_d on Mon May 11, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dot

Post by Dot »

jon_d wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm Auto has gears that it shifts though.

CVT has sort of two cones that rub against each other. The cones adjust position to get the best revs.
Who mentioned Cones :lol: Thanks jd so which one is the best :?:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

CVT is Continuous Variable Transmission
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Dot, Julie has a Mitsubishi ASX with CVT and we find it very good to drive, the revs just change depending on the power required at the time. Go to a dealer and express an interest then take it for a long test drive.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks boys, we shall be doing the car yards soon. Leaning towards the Suzuki swift now that I have lost weight :lol: :lol: George is heavier than me. Hope your pain level is better now George.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
You may find the Swift just a little TOO compact after the GV.

Our Suzuki Baleno is a nice compact 5-door car which can still comfortably seat 4 adults (not legless midgets), with a rear hatch and fold-down seats which make it a handy station wagon. Economical, too!
Ours is the 1 litre turbo. Plenty of get-up-&-go, yet we get 17~18km/litre There's a non-turbo 1.4 litre version too. Cruises comfortably between 100~110 on the freeway. Not too bouncy on the back roads, either... unlike the Jimny. I fear the Swift might be a bit choppy on back roads because of its short wheelbase. That was Jim's problem.
Very reasonably priced, and it fits on our single-axle Tilta-Trailer, as it's under 1500Kg! Probably be a good Toad with an A-frame.

I suggest you test-drive both before making a decision.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

A word of warning re CVT.
They only last about 100,000k's before needing a full rebuild, and that is expensive.
I personally would never buy a vehicle with one in it.

If you are thinking about one do some research first - guaranteed you will find many unhappy people with them.

Just my 2c's.

Cheers, :)
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Buy a hybrid, best of all worlds. Seamless drive from standstill to full speed, very economical as far as fuel goes and if you get a plug in hybrid it can drive on electric only. We love our plug in Prius, smooth ride, very rapid acceleration if needed with the combined torque of the twin electric motors and the petrol engine adding to the current supplied by the battery, surprises every one who rides in it and often those that we over take.
There is a great choice of hybrid drive vehicles out there at the moment, to them all for a test drive before you commit to buying another vehicle. Any hybrid can be upgraded to a plug in electric if you find one you really like but lacks the plug in option.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

What about the costs/servicing of those hybrid cars?