Golf ball / sugar in petrol tank ??

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Dot

Golf ball / sugar in petrol tank ??

Post by Dot »

Today I was told that if you put a (peeled ) golf ball into a petrol tank that will stuff the motor? Would that be the same as the old sugar in the tank?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Re: Golf ball / sugar in petrol tank ??

Post by Greynomad »

Never heard that one before, Dottie.

But I reckon the fine rubber string inside a golf ball would not be very kind to the motor. I presume the petrol would dissolve it, literally ‘gumming up the works’ when the stuff reached the hot cylinders!

Sounds right in theory, anyway... 8-)

Anyone volunteering to test this one?? :shock:

(Good luck fitting a golf ball into a ULP filler neck!)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

So that's the reason most coaches & RV's towing vans are diesel..... 8-)
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Well, I've heard it said that the Golf GTi has real balls, but I've never gone looking for them so no idea just how one would go about skinning one :?

The old sugar in the fuel tank doesn't actually stuff the engine, there are treatments around that will remove the sugar residue so it doesn't require an engine stip down and rebuild. Lacquer in its various forms dissolved in the fuel will bring any internal combustion engine to a halt and about the only fix is to throw that one in the scrap yard and get a new one. The valves seize in the guides, the ports get coated with multiple layers that can't easily be removed, the pistons become fused into the bore and it even gets into the oil and builds up on all the lubricated surfaces as well. It stuffs the turbo and the catalytic converter as well as the mufflers and the insides of the manifolds and exhaust pipes. One of those things an insurance company would class the vehicle as a write off and pay the owner out.

It was one of those things that caused LPG injection at the intake valve come into question because there is a level of lacquer that comes with autogas and LPG in those resellers that refill their gas bottles with autogas rather than pure propane. The lacquer builds up in the jets and regulators and blocks them up when used in LPG fuel appliances and can cause all sorts of strange engine wear when injected as a liquid against the back o the intake valve.
Not something that became a commonly seen problem because LPG started to go up in price and lost the "cheap fuel" advantages so the liquid injection was a very short lived technology.

So, there ya go, carefully mix lacquer with the fuel and pour that into the fuel tank if you really want to get back at someone, just pouring neat lacquer in the tank won't work because it will sit on the bottom of the tank and block the fuel pick-up well before it does any engine damage ...... quite a busy period when I was in the mechanical trade when this first surfaced on the interweb as the ultimate sabotage to a vehicle, removed many fuel tanks and fuel lines/fuel systems because someone had poured lacquer in the fuel tank.
As for diesel fueled vehicles, Ad Blu is a tried and true fuel system destroyer and generally the result of someone thinking they would try this new cheap fuel that appeared in the truck filling section of the servo :roll: but 10 ltrs of petrol in a tank full of diesel will do serious damage as well, so don't think you are safe from the nasty buggers just because you have a diesel fueled vehicle ...... if they mix the lacquer in the petrol and then add it to the diesel ....... ouch doesn't really cover it :o

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO