Van Gissy does it again 2/2

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
supersparky

Re: Van Gissy does it again 2/2

Post by supersparky »

Unfortunately T1, as you will recall, roundy roundy racing and drag racing have no middle ground. The best circuit cars don't get a look in at the 1/4 mile. And vice versa.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hmmm
I reckon it would be hilarious to see a AA Fueller try to make it all the way around The Mountain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

First problem would be getting around the corner at the end of Pit Straight. :shock:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It is rather spectacular watching the burnout doorslammers shuffle around til they find a bit of straight or a big corner to let 1000hp or so rip. If you haven't seen Victor or Ben Bray on the loose, make sure you do one day soon. Years ago the V8 guys ran at the drags at Calder one night. That was an eye opener. But totally different to today's cars.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I remember way back when we [brother and I] got a new 1100 Fiat from Rolls Motors at Parramatta [at cost], after registering it in mums name we then prepared it for Bathurst. Standard vehicle just did what was allowed in those days [polished head, crack tested parts etc] raced it at Bathurst [got beat] with Rolls Motors advertising on it. Then sold as owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PeterH
PeterH
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

And Peter, most important of all, did you drive it to the track and home again?
That always blew what I laughingly refer to as my mind.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I reckon it was early 70's before driving the racecar to the racetrack became uncool. Look at the mega transporters now. B double and a merchandising trailer as well. Its all about the dollars now. Blokes used to race for fun back in the day.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:40 pm It is rather spectacular watching the burnout doorslammers shuffle around til they find a bit of straight or a big corner to let 1000hp or so rip. If you haven't seen Victor or Ben Bray on the loose, make sure you do one day soon. Years ago the V8 guys ran at the drags at Calder one night. That was an eye opener. But totally different to today's cars.
They had the triple challenge for yrs at the old Eastern Creek Race complex when they still held the drag race meets there. Part of the triple challenge was go cart racing, the tin tops weren't allowed to race with the go carts in case the ran one over, but a lap dash challenge always saw the go carts ... well super carts really, win the roundy roundy and take out a lot of the titles in the drag racing as well because it was street class based. No hope for the top Door slammers or the pro stock, not enough traction, but the super carts even put it up to the jnr dragsters in the unlimited 1/4 mile events. The Rigoli's in their triple rotor turbo Mazda were really p*ssed off when one of the unlimited super carts took out the unlimited "Super Street"event ...... not sure I'd want to have my butt that close to the ground with a well work 400CC Honda 4 cyl behind my seat and an exit speed of over 160km/h ...... Our turbo 6cyl Cortina exited at 128 MPH but couldn't accelerate over the 60 ft as fast or for the rest of the 1/4 mile

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Grandad wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:13 am And Peter, most important of all, did you drive it to the track and home again?
That always blew what I laughingly refer to as my mind.

Jim
YES from Merrylands to Bathurst. {and back]

PeterH
PeterH