I thought this most interesting.

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Greynomad

Re: I thought this most interesting.

Post by Greynomad »

:P :lol: :P :lol: :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:23 pm You always have to do things the hard way Ray.
A quick call to Collyn would sort it out & he could write another book about it!
:o You will go straight to hell for that Bruce, no $200 as you pass go for you :lol:

I was thinking along the lines of caravans being built as fifth wheelers and the turntable/dolly is added for those that want to tow with rear hitch or a direct coupling via a turntable mounted over the rear axle of the tow vehicle the way they are normally hitched up.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Something like this Terry?
Hutchinsons Dolly Wheel. Reasonably well known in Vintage Van circles. Not so common with modern van owners
DollyWheels 20120215 Franklin1 2.jpg
Many different styles, some with two wheels on an axle

http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/th ... lly-wheels

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The 2 wheels on an axle but close together was more the idea I had in mind. The problem would be that would be considered as a trailer and require rego and the driver would require a road train licence under current rules.
If the dolly and turntable was part of the caravan creating a sort of dog trailer affair then the extra rego would not be required but possibly a light truck combination licence because it is a dog trailer after all. But then again, a 3 tonne caravan can be towed on a car licence now so .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Sorry Terry, I got that info screwed up.
The one pictured is called the Jones Dolley Wheel. Most commonly used on Jamisen caravans but not exclusively. The whole thing is integral to the vans 'A' frame.
The ones with dual wheels on an axle are the Hutchinsons.

In the thread I linked to, one of the more respected members of the Vintage Van community states that he contacted the NSW RTA who told him both types were still legal today. Mind you, that was posted in 2008.

Generally speaking with few exceptions, anything legal when the caravan was made is legal today. This may apply here but the impression I'm getting is that this is not the case for either style. They could be used on a modern van with no legal implications.
I've often wondered why the Jones style, (single wheel with still only one articulation point) are not still offered today. The Hutchinson style would introduce another articulation point. Not sure what the ramifications of that would be on stability.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I seen one a few years back in Melbourne .
One jocky wheel plus the two normal wheels .
Mate I was with called me up on the UHF to bring my attention to it .
Bernie .
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Many moons ago back in the CMCA forum days, a member there was developing a single wheel trailer that attached to the rear of the motorhome. It had a dual wheel car tyre set up that swivelled on a tapered roller bearing mount at the rear of the trailer. Can't remember the name but he did bring it to one of the Maleny get togethers. Something like that built into where the tow coupling mounts now on a standard A frame caravan and just a steering bar from there to the tow vehicle ball. that way the axles could be moved back similar to a 5th wheeler to better stabilise the whole rig. The extra axle and wheels would improve the weight carrying ability and no more worry about tow ball weight.

But I still like the turntable/dolly idea so the same van can be either a caravan or a 5th wheeler depending on the tow vehicle.

T1 Terry