Lith again

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Dot

Lith again

Post by Dot »

Copied this from another place for interest'
=======================================..
RNCF - North Coast Fabricators
·
Hey everyone. Be very careful buying lithium batteries online. These batteries were purchased by a client who paid $675 dollars for this 50amp battery. When plugged into the caravan they had a smoke up so he dismantled the battery finding floor tiles and a small battery to give it some charge.NCF - North Coast Fabricators

Sorry I can't get the picture of them up for you.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
El Gringo

Re: Lith again

Post by El Gringo »

Here's the pics...

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks Bernie
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

There is a very small battery - maybe phone size - at the end of 1 of the blue wires.
Seems to have come from a reputable source, but of course I have no idea of it's accuracy.
Pretty clever scam if true though..

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Terry voiced his misgivings about those batteries performance .Those batteries have been flogged in the wanderer and they seem to say that battery can do more than it really can ????

Still looking for the photos of the battery we tested here for a customer to determine if this is the same battery ..... very few actual manufacturers but a lot of "sticker" branding in this drop in battery thing .... so could be the same manufacturer but a different brand name on the sticker ..... Keep in mind, these resellers simply buy in and sell these drop in batteries, they don't actually build them.
I believe this started on Facebook so we should mention here that this is a repost from Facebook and not something actually found by a member of this forum.

T1 Terry
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

I agree with Bruce, looks like a BMS to me and if the tiles were actually inside, they would flop around and the weight would be uneven. Someone selling that as a working battery, would surely be a prime target for the cops for fraud.

Looks like someone has shorted out the BMS and then stripped the box of cells. My cells are now 13 and 14 years old, still no lose of capacity and working great and there are 3 x 45ah spare cells sitting on a bench which haven't been used since they were bought and they still hold 3.2v.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

As NP has said, no sign of the actual cells that were in this battery. The BMS has clearly been disconnected, you can see the 5 pin JST-XH plug and leads that would have been connected across a 4 cell battery to plug into a cell monitor/management board. As can be seen from the wire size on the JST plug, there wouldn't have been much cell balancing current happening because they would have melted, the module has clearly had a burn out and it appears as though the underside of one of the terminal bolts has suffered some serious electrical action.
Looking closer at the burn mark on the underside of the module, it appears to have a depression the shape of the terminal bolt head and the burn marks look as though they might match up .... no idea if any diagnosis can be made from there without seeing the rest of the battery like the cells and if there was an internal fuse etc.

Much more information required before any real finger pointing should be started. but I can't see a battery returned for warranty being then returned to the buyer without the cells and very doubtful they would have returned it with the tiles still in there to make up the weight.
So, did the buyer open up the battery thus well and truly voiding any chance of getting their money back?

The drop in battery we had here that the owner asked us to test was marked as a 140Ah battery, but load testing was limited to 16 amp before the internal BMS disconnected the load ..... Tested at 16 amps the battery delivered 51Ah before the BMS again disconnected the load. Recharging was limited to 20 amps without the BMS tripping and that reduced to 5 amps or less once 13vdc was reached, less than 2 hrs @ 20 amps, at the 5 amp rate it tripped at an increasing frequency until an estimated 50Ah had been returned to the battery. I'm guessing a further trickle charge might have returned the missing 1Ah, or it was lost in translation due to the frequent BMS tripping ...... Basically, the claimed 140Ah didn't seem to be stored in there unless they used a very small load current to achieve it ....
By the way, the battery did rattle and didn't weigh anything close to a 100Ah capacity, so forget about it having 140Ah capacity.
The owner contacted Fair trading and told them I was willing to write a report about the testing, Fair trading contacted the seller and they demanded the battery be returned ... after refusing to answer the buyers emails and Evilbay messages, they then reluctantly refunded the purchase price but not the freight costs to return the battery. No, they paid via bank transfer, not PayPal, let there be a lesson there for all who are still reading this far into a long post :lol:

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Thanks for that great message again 🚌
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
wayneP

Post by wayneP »

Thanks Terry for the info, especially for those who are still looking at plug and play. :D
Wayne
Driver/Maintenance Boy :D
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Looking at the price difference of the first batch of iTechWorld lithium batteries and the new stock gives an idea of how higher quality the first lot must have been with some resellers discounting them a lot to clear them off their shelves, yet the new 100Ah battery is roughly $1000 but not actually a 100Ah lithium battery.
SPECIFICATIONS:

Nominal Voltage: 12.8v
C20 Rating usable amps 10v: 105Ah
Short Circuit Protection: Yes
Optimum Temperature Range: +5 to +60°C
BMS Operational Temperature Range: -40 to 80°C
Safety Protection Isolator: 80°C
Recommended Charge Current: 20 - 50A
Maximum Charge Current: 100A
Recommended Charge Voltage: 14.4v
BMS Charge Cut Off Voltage: 15v
BMS Low Voltage Cut Off: 8.5-9v
Continuous Discharge: 150A (175A 5 mins)
Peak Discharge: 280A 5 sec
Life Cycles 80%: 4000 +
Life Cycles 50%: 5000 +
Life Cycles 30%: 8000 +
UL certified 1642
IP67 Rated - Waterproof - Dust proof
CE Certified
Rohs Certified
UN38.3 Certified
ISO 9001 Certified
ISO 1400 Certified
Dimensions (LxWxH): 330*173*215mm
Weight: 12kg
Terminal Type: M8
Case Material: ABS
Lithium batteries are rated at the equivalent of a C2 discharge rate, not a C20 which is AGM discharge rating. Then down to 10v and 105Ah capacity, are they crazy? At 10v the battery would be stuffed ...

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO