Ladders and stuff

Please add anything you've come up with to solve a problem in your outfits. eg. holder for remote!, fold up broom!, Dogbox for Hubby, etc Up to 6 images.
supersparky

Ladders and stuff

Post by supersparky »

We have just had some work done to our Winnebago awning and the repairer has suggested a few little improvements to make the awning last longer.
One suggestion was some little velcro strips to stop the whole thing rattling while in transit. Good idea thinks me, but I would need a ladder of some sort to attach them. Having a ladder on board would also greatly assist in the install/removal of the anti-flappers.
I have resisted the requirement of a ladder because you need somewhere to store it. We have now decided that a ladder would be safer than falling off a chair etc. I have one of those 3 foot step ladders, which are about as safe as a chair for our intended use.
Can anyone suggest a suitable collapsible or foldable ladder that might suit.
What do others use and how do they store it for travel purposes?
I have posted an identical post elsewhere. If you happen to see it, there is no need to reply to both.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Ladders and stuff

Post by BruceS »

I've found in the past that a few fixed steps in certain places come in handy. Can you put one so that you can wash a window as well as fix the awning in place? A spring loaded folding one or something?
We have a 3 step alum one on the boat that gets a lot of use & folds up nicely for storage.
I would never travel without something holding the top of the awning in place that is better than how they come as new!!
I suggest never using it half out either. All the way out or in.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I have a full size step ladder which I store beneath the bus behind the rear axle,

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Anti rattle thingy's are a waist of time Dave they only make you feel warm and cosy .
The tension of the rewind spring should be enough...I don't use them .
Bernie .
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Are you sure Dave has one of those Bernie? Some of those flash motorhomes have wind out ones that don't have legs or springs at all. I first saw one on Keith Moxham's Winny. We just saved in when a whirly whirly hit it but I decided then & there I'd never have one!!! (At Muckinup it was!!)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Bruce, Bernie is correct, we have the type with the arms and the tension springs that you need to be a brain surgeon to adjust etc, that's why we got an expert to fit the new cover. First thing they did was take it off the side then drill out the adjustment retaining rivets.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

David, if you go the ladder route, I have used one from Bunnings for several years that I can recommend. It's a Cosco brand small step ladder. Extremely lightweight and very stable, and I hate being off the ground. So if I feel safe on it, everyone should.
Size wise, it's no different to any other step ladder so space may still be an issue, but weight will be a non-event.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Bought a ladder years ago on ebay, which slides down into itself in 3-4 sections and allows me to climb onto the roof of the bus easily, it sits in the spare bedroom which is rarely used and never had a problem with it over the years, Used it to put up a tv aerial on the bus but since putting the bull-bar on it, now fit the aerial into a holder on the bull-bar and use those tent poles that slide into each other for the aerial mast.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

What type of awning is it?

Traditional one with the legs or a self supporting one like Bruce's description?
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

We have used those telescopic ladders for yrs and just bought a longer one from Kogan on special. We also saw A frame type telescopic ladders on evil bay that looked interesting because there were so many options as far as length for each side it could be a traditional A frame ladder or one of those triangle sort of things where one leg sat flat against the wall and you climbed up the other leg. One of those things where a picture would make a lot more sense than I'm making at the moment, but I don't have a picture and this isn't the link I saw all the options on, but it might lead to something that you might find will do the job https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-4M-5M-5-6 ... 094536069e
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO