Tourists - lifeboat in Kingston SE, SA

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
BruceS
Site Admin

Tourists - lifeboat in Kingston SE, SA

Post by BruceS »

As some of you travel around you may be passing through Kingston SE, SA.
If you have time you might drive along Marine Pde and be going past the lighthouse that was disassembled out on the Margaret Brock Reef several kms out to sea from Cape Jaffa. Piece by piece it was removed onto barges, landed on shore, extensively cleaned and previous place noted... bit by bit.
Eventually it was put back together in it's present location ........ bit by bit in it's exact same position.
It is open from time to time by volunteers and can be entered and climbed to the top. (For very fit people!!!)

OK, while in the area you may notice an 'old orange thing' on the ground behind that lighthouse.
If you have about 3.84mb to spare you can click on this link to see a TV news item about it.
http://www.ozervnews.com/lifeboat.3gp
To save it you can right click & select SAVE AS.
It should open in Windows Media Player or whatever you view videos in.
A bit like the present discussion about the parts of the crashed aircraft being found on an island but in reverse direction.
The currents go in a giant anti-clockwise direction in the Indian Ocean I'm told!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Busman

Re: Tourists - lifeboat in Kingston SE, SA

Post by Busman »

My player doesn't recognise that file extension ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yes my version of Windows Media PLayer plays it but with no sound.
I use VLC media player as my 'normal' player as it plays all types of media.
I'll see if I can convert it without losing too much quality.

EDIT: I converted it to MP4 which should play on most computers.
http://www.ozervnews.com/lifeboat_x264.mp4
Sound quality is terrible as I filmed it off a crappy TV that has crap speakers.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

homeless

Post by homeless »

Cant beleive that when they took the seamen off (rescued) they did not either retreive the craft or scuttled it as it would have been a shipping hazard all those years.
Might be a case of the people responsible for the resue being responsible for any cost incured with its disposal etc.
Not sure of the legals but there are rules at sea that you must not leave or create a hazzard.
Also if a vessel is abondond and you find it you are entittled to claim salvage rights which means the vessel now belongas to the person who found it if they so choose.
Might be a case for some legal firm to make a few dollars
Regards
Brian
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status