Sikaflex...

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Chuck

Sikaflex...

Post by Chuck »

What's the best method of cleaning old sikaflex off the outside of the van - white aluminium.

Metho, turps, kero.... ??
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Newcastle George

Re: Sikaflex...

Post by Newcastle George »

A good sharp scraper and a lot of care.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Got that far George... any further & I risk lifting the paint, so hoping for a 'cleaner' method.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Acetone, but make sure the paint is not affected first in a spot no one will see if it starts to thin the paint. Use a cloth that will show up white on it if the paint is affected.
If the paint is not affected, a cloth soaked and layed over the sikaflex and a plastic bag taped down over that, have a cuppa, then take the rag off, the Sikaflex should lift off like set jelly, a quick scrub with the plastic pot scrubber soaked in acetone will take last bits off.
The other method is a hot air gun and a razorblade scrapper, drag across the sikaflex, don't try to cut under it, you will remove paint for sure.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
TigerMK1

Post by TigerMK1 »

Nope, there isn't one. Just get the very best scraper and change the blades often. Why do you think they attach car panels, windscreens, solar panels, I could go on! Nope either scrape it off, or change the panel it is attached to.

I noticed T1 posted before me. No acetone will not work on fully set Sikaflex, scrap, scrap only, acetone will only destroy the paint around it and will not effect fully cured glue.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Fortunately is does Steven, the paint under it was 2pk, it had cured for 2 yrs so it was well and truly set. It held the shower screen uprights to the wall, when the replacement parts arrived it was now too small, so I had to remove the uprights and fit 50mm multipanel spacers so now the whole shower screen sat 25mm further out from the corner on each wall, all the old Sikaflex 11FC had to come off. The same when I had to move the kitchen cupboards to fit a different stove in, the thicker that stuff is, the stronger it is, had to cut it off first with a hacksaw blade. Also had to remove all the old Sikaflex when I had to replace the water effected wall panels in the bedroom.
The soak it system works, so does the hot air gun, just takes a while, patience is the key.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks.

Perhaps I should have said - I think it's Sikaflex, or something similar - would that make any difference to the removal technique?
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The 2 techniques I put forward will work on most of them, If it's Sikaflex structural, mechanical means combined with the hot air gun is the only thing that will shift it, that's the stuff they glue car roofs and other body panels on with, heat and a ply bar is how they get them off.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Terry,

Just tried to take a pic of it but the camera's gone on strike! :roll:
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Chuck if it's been applied in the factory I doubt very much if it's Sikka as it'd be too dear to use a bulk amounts.
It's mostly used by us perfectionists that want our jobs to last for years.
Will water stick to it or run off like water on a duck's back?
If it runs off I'd be guessing it's some form of silastic. (silicon)
If it is it is easier to remove than most of the sikka mob.
BruceS
Mannum, SA