Painting

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Re: Painting

Post by Dot »

Hey Bruce,Charge a spotters fee plus rent then retire :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

If you are spraying enamel, there is a special pot you scoop full of the paint/thinners mix and time how long it takes to flow through, to the 0.5 secs, it's that much of a pain in the arse. If you aren't that fussed with the shine and finish, you can guestimate the mix, but it you want it to look magic off the gun, you gotta do it by the numbers, quality paint, top quality thinners, a gun that sprays a perfect pattern, a water trap for the airline, the compressor drain plug loose so the water/air leaks out constantly....... there is nothing easy about getting a magic finish with enamel.... but it's the cheapest paint by far.
Next comes acrylic, lots of coats, stir the paint with a flat paddle like a school ruler, let the paint run off, it should flow off reasonably quickly yet leave a colour coating on the rule, the drips should have very short tails, no tail, it's too thin but lots of coats with a 15 mins plus between them and you can get away with it, long tail, it's too thick and it will dry with an orange peel finish. Just enough air to get the paint out of the gun and evenly spread across the width of the fan, too much air/ not enough paint, a dust finish, not enough air/too much paint, more runs than Bradman. It will never be shiny off the gun, that comes after hrs of buffing.
Polyurethane, Use the right thinners, get the mix right, paints like magic, to get that glass shine finish, the last clean up of the paint pot/gun, 50% thinners, light coat all over, not enough to form runs but enough to remelt just the surface, a better shine than 2 pk, just not as tough.

Gravity feed guns are great for vertical and down hand, but you just can't do that edge from the ground up unless you are very experienced, but by far the easiest to get a good finish, suction guns with the locking pot, make sure the vent hose is clear and paint will not enter the vent hose when you are painting at the angle you need, you may need to spin every thing around to get the vent on the high side of the paint in the pot. Hi volume/low pressure guns, you wanna be good to avoid the Bradman finish with those babies :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

BruceS wrote:Gotta be 2-pack.
Gotta have a good water trap.
Gotta have a good regulator.
Gotta wear a mask.
Gotta use the correct thinners.
Gotta use a pro!!
Bring it down to Kingston & I'll get my mate to spray it for you........... You can sleep in my house.......... no one there most of the time!! ;) ;) ;)
Will your mate do all the rubdown prep and masking up too, or should i be prepared to help out.. Can pnly do the basic stuff myself!
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Well it depends how big your chq book is I guess!!
I think everyone gets the idea from Terry's post that it really is a job that needs an experienced person who has done a lot of it to end up with a good job.
When I painted my boat some years ago I went with the expensive 2-pack paint & a lot of the smaller areas I did with a brush. Using the right amount of thinners it looked like a pro spray job. It just smoothed out behind me. Cross-hatching painting was the most effective.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Bernie, Use Acrlyic lacquer.First coat is a fog coat, 2nd 30% thinners. 3rd coat 50%. 4th coat 60%, and the secret is the final coat is staight thinners all over, and you have to do this job in 1 day or it dont work too good. Will work but not as good..
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks Norman we are using enamel paint. Thanks to Terry as well sorry I didn't answer earlier .
All the black is done plus the front of the bus [white]
Bernie.
Dot

Post by Dot »

So where are the pics to prove it Bernie?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

[/color]
Dot wrote:So where are the pics to prove it Bernie?
Ha Ha.jpg
:lol: :lol

Mod edit. 1 hr ban for being a silly boy SteveW (very clever though) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

still in camera bloody card reader shit it self.
Ya's will have ta wait.
Bernie.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Ok guru's can I paint enamel over acrylic undercoat/filler?
I remember some thing from years ago saying you cant paint one over the other but can paint other over the one? does that make sense
But I don't know which?
Bernie.